Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Electric Siphon Brewers
Dann-Oh
I am looking into getting an electric siphon brewer so I can start enjoying my home roasted coffee at the office. I am looking at the Diguo Electric Siphon Coffee Maker. This bad boy (linked below) will allow me to enjoy good coffee at work but I've not used this kind of brewer. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Would something else work better?

https://www.amazo...B012ME2B7G
Edited by JackH on 04/24/2017 3:00 PM

renatoa
It's a syphon with electric heater, I don't see anything different...

Experienced syphon and the result is too oily for my taste, others preferences can vary...
Did you tried Aeropress or V60 ?
Brew for you only or many persons ?
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

JackH
I have an older vacuum brewer (heated on the stove) and I fire it up every now and then. I do like the taste and it is fun to watch it go.

I don't know about the electric types but it should perform in a similar way.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ChicagoJohn

Dann-Oh wrote:

I am looking into getting an electric siphon brewer so I can start enjoying my home roasted coffee at the office. I am looking at the Diguo Electric Siphon Coffee Maker. This bad boy (linked below) will allow me to enjoy good coffee at work but I've not used this kind of brewer. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Would something else work better?

Being pretty new to all this, I'd never heard of this method prior to your post but after seeing how cool it looks in your link (definitely going to generate interest at work!), I checked it out on YT.

I used the Aeropress for a couple years but recently I've been doing total immersion and filtration using a metal cone, paperless filter. I use a coarse grind of 45gm, extract in 200ml of hot water for 60 seconds with stirring then gravity filter into 300 ml hot water for dilution -- a fast process with quick clean-up, but nowhere near as interesting a process as the one you've referenced but cheaper and simpler in equipment and potentially capable of delivering a similar product by varying brewing parameters, I would think.

Thanks for your post. I never cease being amazed at all the many ways people have thought of to brew and roast.
So many beans; so little time....

renatoa
syphon also help gravity with suction from vacuum... it's the second amazing part of the process, because coffee is bubbling like boiling, but there is no actual boiling inside...

Do you think it looks cool ? check it with infrared heating in a Japanese coffee bar, where this method is cult ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGE1AxcA0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qr1OlDtpnw
Edited by allenb on 04/24/2017 6:47 PM
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

Dann-Oh

renatoa wrote:

It's a syphon with electric heater, I don't see anything different...

Experienced syphon and the result is too oily for my taste, others preferences can vary...
Did you tried Aeropress or V60 ?
Brew for you only or many persons ?

I brew for myself and occasionally my lady, shes more into tea but drinks the home roast when its a good batch.

I have not tried the aeropress, I have the V60 with a metal filter, the darn thing clogged after the 3rd use and now I do not use it. I have no clue how to clean it out.

ChicagoJohn wrote:

Dann-Oh wrote:

Being pretty new to all this, I'd never heard of this method prior to your post but after seeing how cool it looks in your link (definitely going to generate interest at work!), I checked it out on YT.

I used the Aeropress for a couple years but recently I've been doing total immersion and filtration using a metal cone, paperless filter. I use a coarse grind of 45gm, extract in 200ml of hot water for 60 seconds with stirring then gravity filter into 300 ml hot water for dilution -- a fast process with quick clean-up, but nowhere near as interesting a process as the one you've referenced but cheaper and simpler in equipment and potentially capable of delivering a similar product by varying brewing parameters, I would think.

Thanks for your post. I never cease being amazed at all the many ways people have thought of to brew and roast.

Ill take it off your hands for you:-)

turtle
My first experience with coffee was watching my mom make coffee in an old Cory vacuum brewer.

Vacuum/siphon brewing has been a staple of my brew methods ever since.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Jump to Forum: