Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Control for drum roaster
BobbyS
Does a drum roaster respond fast enough for PID control?

Ringo
Yes, most commercial drums have pid control. This is an update I want to make to my drum someday. I believe I could have more consistent results with pid.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

renatoa
Be careful to evaluate if a roaster is really a drum roaster... the presence of a drum don't make it automatically a drum roaster.
The true nature of a roaster is the predominant source of the heat.
Could be hot air, and drum only an agitation method. In this case is a convection roaster, and air temp response to PID is very good.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

BobbyS
thanks!

BobbyS
I'm just gonne keep these questions in this thread instead of making a new one.

Question: for a 1k to 2k roaster, how big of a blower would I need. I have my eye on a round pan, 18 inch dia. for a cooling tray

dmccallum
The San Franciscan SF-1 uses a 130CFM blower. I intend to use this one for my build - https://www.grain...plit-3FRG2

The SF-1 uses a single blower for both roast draw and cooling tray and switch via a gate/valve.

You might get away with less, but assuming San Fran have it right.

BobbyS
good to know dm, thanks! I have a 227cfm that I am going to use for the cooling tray. I think I will give it a shot to use it for both too.

Jump to Forum: