Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Wanting to Upgrade from Behmor 1600
RoastBeans
I've been roasting on the Behmor for years and in the mood to upgrade to a better unit. I only roast for myself, therefore a sample roaster size would be adequate. I've looked at he North Roaster TJ-066 gas/electric, but Mill City Roasters jut increased the price an additional $500. This is now out of my price range, since there is also $350 shipping on top of the price. I also looked into the Bullet R1.

Does anyone know of any comparisons I can do more research on? I just wasn't interested in the Sonofresco, air type roasters.

turtle
Bullet is a home roasting machine. If you are looking into home roasting machines look at the B2-K+ Hottop also.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

RoastBeans
Turtle, I've been reading about the Hottop B-2K+. What are your options on the Quest or Huky? Do you know if the Quest and Huky can run off Artisan?

renatoa
Which way better, what dislike you atm about Behmor?
Profile roasting siren song :) desire for more control ?

Below is a quote of one of our most respected roasters:
"I have what is called "mixed feelings" about Behmor.
On the one hand I hate it and I'm going to make it with a big hammer because pressing buttons can get better than I do (on his production Probat roaster)
and on the other side, from my point of view, the guy who built it is a genius and the machine is almost perfect."

I don't think that recommending a half capacity triple price machine could be called an upgrade...

What is wrong about air roasters ?
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

turtle

RoastBeans wrote:

Turtle, I've been reading about the Hottop B-2K+. What are your options on the Quest or Huky? Do you know if the Quest and Huky can run off Artisan?

No experience with anything other than Behmor, Hottop B2-K+, and SF-1.

My hottop started out as a used burned up B model. I modified it extensively and used it until the old B control panel died and as they were no longer available I did the + upgrade. My mods took my old B past what hottop was offering but going back to factory stock seemed like a better idea than just going to the K model panel and probe which were only used for the safety functions since the roasting functions were all handled remotely via a laptop and artisan.

I do know that the plus model hottop is artisan ready (USB and all internals already installed) so it is a simple plug-n-play. The plus model is a two way street with Artisan. It is a data logger AND you can run the machine through your computer raising/lowering heat and fan functions. You can even automate roasting by running saved profiles directly from your computer using Artisan.

I "believe" that both the quest and husky will require custom modifications to talk to artisan .

turtle-web.com/pics/coffee/hottop/6-25-2015_cart.JPG
Edited by turtle on 07/08/2017 8:46 AM

RoastBeans
renatoa,

renatoa wrote:

Which way better, what dislike you atm about Behmor?

The Behmor was okay when I first started. But, after buying the same coffees that I liked, the Behmore is only a FAIR roaster. It does not have consistency. I can roast to City, City+ and Full City, but consistency just isn't there. The roaster has lasted longer than I thought it would, as today was my 487th roast.

renatoa wrote:

I don't think that recommending a half capacity triple price machine could be called an upgrade...

I've constantly thought about that, as I didn't want to spend that amount of money. This is why I keep doing roaster research. Everything I read states, you get far better results from a gas roaster than an electric roaster.

renatoa wrote:

What is wrong about air roasters ?

All larger commercial machines run a drum roaster styles, that's what got me into roasting in the first place. After drinking coffee for the first time from a local roasting company, this made me research to do it myself.

RoastBeans

I "believe" that both the quest and husky will require custom modifications to talk to artisan .

That tells me these two aren't what I'm wanting. I don't want to have to modify what I buy.
Edited by JackH on 07/08/2017 11:20 AM

turtle

RoastBeans wrote:

That tells me these two aren't what I'm wanting. I don't want to have to modify what I buy.

I'd wait for someone who knows about these to chime in before deciding.

I do NOT know for sure whether they have been made available with probes so that you can "log" roasts. I doubt that they are controllable through Artisan though.

I DO know that the B-2K+ IS two way with artisan (record roasts AND control the roaster from the keyboard)

RoastBeans

turtle wrote:

RoastBeans wrote:

I'd wait for someone who knows about these to chime in before deciding.

Since you have used both gas and electric roasters, are coffee results just as good on your Hottop as the SF-1? Why did you do the upgrade to the SF-1?

turtle

RoastBeans wrote:

Since you have used both gas and electric roasters, are coffee results just as good on your Hottop as the SF-1?

No...

SF-1 is a 100 lb commercial batch/sample roaster

Hottop is a 15 lb home roaster.

No comparison between them even though both are electric.

My SF-1 is one of 5 "unicorn" 240VAC models built by the founder of the company.

I completely redesigned the burner and control system as the roaster had been set on fire before I purchased it.

It has two 1740 watt fast reaction coil type burners (750-1000 degree F each). Run from a brewing wort boiler controller (100 step controller) via twin SSRs.

I need to integrate my TC4C+LED so that I can run the roaster from Artisan. For now I can log in Artisan (or a meter) but I have to run the roaster manually.

My SF-1 is a one of a kind and not comparable to anything out there.

turtle-web.com/pics/coffee/sf-1/9-22-2015_new_cart.JPG

RoastBeans wrote:

Why did you do the upgrade to the SF-1?

I got it for a price I could not refuse...... AND it was delivered to my door at that price too.

I did not "upgrade"

I have each of my 3 coffee roasters at 3 different houses.

Edited by turtle on 07/08/2017 11:06 AM

SmokNmirz
Here is another perspective on the topic.

I have roasted on a Quest for several years and have always been modifying it to get an increased load of bean out of it. I am roasting 225g reliably and 250g if I really push it and pay attention.

There is nothing automatic about it, all hands on. Although I have the probes and the datalogger I never hooked it to a computer for a graph since I really like the sight sound and smell aspect of roasting. Since beans change in their green state and a pound today and the same beans a month from now trying to roast another pound is really tricky because the moisture/ambient temps/ all could and will have an affect on the roast.

I too am looking to upgrade my Quest to something that I can reliably roast a 1 pound batch of greens and I seem to be attracted to the Bella Taiwan Mini500. It is not automatic but it sure has all the stuff that makes a roaster life easy. My only fear is that it would not roast the 500g controllably and I need to figure that out.

If $$$ is a big factor then keep watching Craigs List....
L-1p, HG-1-motorized, Monolith Flat, (ordered) mini500Plus.

If whatever you do does not put a smile on your face then rethink what you are doing.

RoastBeans

SmokNmirz wrote:

If $$$ is a big factor then keep watching Craigs List....

$$$ factor. I only buy new. I haven't jumped into the Aillio brand since I've read about so many problems people were having and the company hasn't been around for very long. My only concern, since I'm doing such a big upgrade I'm looking for a machine that will last quite a long time. My only question between the types of machines...
Do you really get better coffee out of a gas roaster over an electric roaster?

turtle
Get a commercial batch/sample roaster to start.

Then should you decide to roast "for profit" get a full size machine from the same company. That way both machines will behave the same and you can create profiles on the sample machine that you can transfer directly to the production machine.

Should you decide not to roast for profit, a commercial batch roaster will be easy to sell.

No home roasting machine will "last"

Edited by turtle on 07/10/2017 10:42 AM

allenb

RoastBeans wrote:
My only question between the types of machines...
Do you really get better coffee out of a gas roaster over an electric roaster?

I've used electric and gas drum roasters in the 200 to 500 gram batch range over the years and and while there is a difference, it's not a huge difference . The primary difference between the two heat sources is that propane and natural gas adds humidity to the heated air stream while electric heat sources do not. For what ever reason, and maybe the added humidity is the primary factor, I've found it easier to achieve great results using gas versus electric. But, I've been able to achieve equally excellent roasts from both heat sources.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb

turtle wrote:

Then should you decide to roast "for profit" get a full size machine from the same company. That way both machines will behave the same and you can create profiles on the sample machine that you can transfer directly to the production machine.

Unfortunately, whether from the same manufacturer or not, going from one design style or capacity size to another will always require a difference in technique to achieve the same flavor profile. Even if only one variable is changed as in drum mass, it will behave differently than the other roaster requiring different user input.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

RoastBeans

allenb wrote:

I've found it easier to achieve great results using gas versus electric. But, I've been able to achieve equally excellent roasts from both heat sources.

Allen

That's great to know. I'll continue to research electric roasters for now since I only roast for myself and I didn't want to deal with gas issues in my garage.

turtle wrote:

allenb wrote:
Unfortunately, whether from the same manufacturer or not, going from one design style or capacity size to another will always require a difference in technique to achieve the same flavor profile.

Allen

This is good to know. Thanks for mentioning this.

turtle
120VAC will limit your roast weight.

You can only get so much heat out of 120 volts

coffeeroastersclub

turtle wrote:

120VAC will limit your roast weight.

You can only get so much heat out of 120 volts

I would be more specific in saying 120 volts with typical house currant of 15 amps. You can roast a whole lotta beans very well with higher amperage at 120 volts.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

btreichel
I was maxed out on my P1 at about 10 oz because I was blowing all the heat out of the roaster at that load.

renatoa
You can use a mixed gas-electric setup as me, the oven placed on the stove, which raise the temperature inside up to 150-160C, good for drying phase, and a convection/radiating halogen top, for accurate profile control in the final phase.
600 grams is the maximum without gas, 1kg with gas.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

beanflying
Behmor - limited period.

Bullet - leave it alone for another 6 months and review the production models performance.

Hottop - my old very hacked and modded D is still going (7 or 8 years). I picked up a secondhand B fitted with a single thermocouple last week for $500 AUD as a sample roaster and to semi retire (maybe really mod) my old one. Works great at 150-250g in. Don't but the older P model and the current 2k versions I haven't used. Good control, repeatability and modding potential if wanted.

TJ-067 - 1kg perforated drum North now over 5 years old. Bomb proof 90kg of workhorse currently doing 10-30kg a week. Roast capacity 600-1000g but at as pinch can do 350g roasts but it gets twitchy and I have done roasts to 1500g but you then get sluggish ;) Responsive, repeatable, tweakable and mechanically tough.

Apart from the 3rd world 110V US power issue with a 1kg electric moving confined spaces etc it works great.

'Most' Commercial roasters have little to zero exposure to electric and rely on old bias (with solid drums generally) against them to push gas. There are however 'some' electric roasters to avoid in the semi commercial sizes.
My name is Tim and I have a coffee equipment addiction problem :)

Two Hottops - modded
TJ 067 Electric 1kg 5+years old
Insert new 5-8kg Roaster here urgently BBQ grill

Jump to Forum: