Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Help with aArtisanQ_PID Specifying Temps
ronncat
I have spent the last month modifying my Quest M3s to use TC4 and aArtisanQ_PID. I have built a control box that hooks into another box that contains the SSR's and ZCD.

I want to monitor the BT and MET on the LCD 20X4 screen on the control box as opposed to the ET and BT. With my MINIMAL knowledge of Arduino, I have managed to modify the screen so that the ET is replaced by MET, and the AT is moved to the 4th line of the LCD under the BT and MET temps.

My question then... The sketch describes how the TC4 will read the first two temperatures that it normally sees, usually ET and BT. This is fine as I can just wire the MET into the first position. My problem is that when Artisan is hooked up it places the MET into the ET box.

If someone with more Arduino knowledge that myself (pretty much everyone) could explain to me how to modify the sketch so the TC4 would read the 2nd (BT) and 3rd (MET) TC inputs instead of the 1st (ET) and 2nd, that could potentially solve my problem. On the other hand, is there a quick fix in Artisan to assign the temperatures to their corresponding boxes in the display??? I've tried for q week to do this with no luck...

Thanks in advance for your help

allenb

I want to monitor the BT and MET on the LCD 20X4 screen on the control box as opposed to the ET and BT.

Before you jump through more hoops than necessary (possibly), let me ask what purpose you have in mind for monitoring MET (maximum environment temperature)? ET is useful for knowing and controlling the environment in the drum surrounding your beans or, in the case of some Quest M3 users, ET being the environment between the drum and outside wall of the roaster. MET being a not to exceed maximum temperature limit is only useful for creating audible or visible indicators or alarms to keep you out of trouble. Do you really need to include MET if you will be standing in front of your roaster in view of ET and BT the whole roast?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
Probably he meant watching ET to not exceed an imposed MET...

ronncat
allenb and renatoa,

Thank you for your insights. I guess what we have here is a question of semantics. It seems many Quest users have fallen into a rabbit hole and have been loosely referring to the temperature between the drum and outer skin as MET, thusly the proliferation of MET probes. This would leave the positions for the ET and BT TC's within the drum itself.

I was merely trying to follow "Quest" convention in naming MET, however, I do see the fault in my logic. Perhaps, I should stay with the ET as being the temperature outside the drum and then create a DT for the temp within the drum. Then I could create an alarm "MDT" that won't allow the DT to exceed a certain temperature, and even an "MET" that will limit the elements so as not to burn them out???

allenb

I was merely trying to follow "Quest" convention in naming MET, however, I do see the fault in my logic. Perhaps, I should stay with the ET as being the temperature outside the drum and then create a DT for the temp within the drum. Then I could create an alarm "MDT" that won't allow the DT to exceed a certain temperature, and even an "MET" that will limit the elements so as not to burn them out???

After reading your explanation of the etymology of the abbreviation of the term since being re-purposed, it now makes sense to me. I hadn't realized that you would be reading the outside drum, inside drum and BT as three separate sensing locations. I would use whatever naming convention that works for you, especially if there's already a community of Quest users that regularly use the term for that sensor location. After pondering it for a while, I can't think of any clever term for this interstitial space between drum and outer cover. Since ET has, to my knowledge, always referred to the heated air surrounding the beans, we should probably continue to use ET for the space inside the drum and just come up with a new term for outside the drum.

Hopefully others here can chime in to help you with your questions regarding the means for getting the LCD to read the terms as you want.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
What's the purpose to measure temperature outside drum ?
What we want is that drum temp not exceed whatever value, to avoid specific defects of the ET too high...

allenb

What's the purpose to measure temperature outside drum ?

After reading several posts by Quest users, outside drum temperature is of more use than heating amps in knowing the amount of heat the beans will be getting. This also seems to have been very useful in the past due to insufficiently robust tubular heating elements that had a temperature upper limit to keep them from failing.

I've never found ET within the drum valuable for knowing the amount of heat energy being applied to the beans. What I find more useful with my gas heated roaster is seeing gas pressure to the burner but a gas heated roaster behaves totally different compared to an electrically heated tubular heating element type with its large hysteresis.

My apologies for dragging your initially posted question into the weeds discussing MET instead of getting your readouts setup and where they belong.

Allen

Jump to Forum: