Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Looking for TC4C board
ChrisR
Do you know if Jim is still selling the TC4C boards. On his website he states that he starts selling again after Aug. 1, but I did not see an add to cart button. I emailed him at the email listed on the website, but I have not heard back. This is where I went to look for the boards.
http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/arduino-pcb.html

turtle
Did you email and ask?
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ChrisR
Yes. it's been more than a week and have not heard back.

JackH
Jim said he was waiting for parts to arrive this month.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ChrisR
Great, I'll wait for his reply.

James211
I?ve reached out to him as well, no response, seems unlike him. He?s always been very responsive via email.

ChrisR
No response so far. Is he still selling the TC4C boards?

impulse7675
I emailed him too and got no response.

coffeeismagick
3 emails in 2 months with 2-3 weeks spacing, zero response, I had never encountered any business operation that operates in this manner, may be the operator is having some personal issues? can anyone who knows him reach out to him?

James211
I've never had this issue with Jim, hoping everything is alright with him. Normally he's a bit of a chatterbox over email

ChrisR
It's been more than a month and a couple of emails and still nothing from Jim. Is he still selling those boards?

shaper
I tried to contact him too without any luck...
Anyone have ideas how\where to get TC4 board? I though about ordering to manufacture it from China, but they need a gerber file, and there no gerber file in the repo only pdf..
So any ideas how to get\build it?

renatoa
Do you want control, or just logging ?
For the later there are alternative solutions... MS6514 the cheapest and most straightforward.
Even for TC4 there are now alternatives, like cyberelectronic's wifi board:
https://www.youtu...uyKWOK1Of8

shaper

renatoa wrote:

Do you want control, or just logging ?
For the later there are alternative solutions... MS6514 the cheapest and most straightforward.
Even for TC4 there are now alternatives, like cyberelectronic's wifi board:
https://www.youtu...uyKWOK1Of8

Ye, i know that for logging there enough viable alternatives.
But i want control too..
For cyberelectronic's wifi board i dont see anything that would allow me to create it or buy too..

renatoa
For buying PM cyberelectronic, is member here.

shaper

renatoa wrote:

For buying PM cyberelectronic, is member here.

Last time he was on this forum was half year ago.
And his last message was
https://forum.hom...post_63076
that its only 1 item and prototype..
I sent him a message but from information above i dont think there will be much luck.
Edited by JackH on 12/10/2017 3:00 PM

renatoa
Locally almost all people who want to start a new machine use his board, and he deliver from stock as I heard last time, 2-3 weeks ago.

JackH
Everyone, I am sorry about all this trouble. I just don't know what is going on. The last communication I had with Jim was that he was waiting for parts coming in in October.

As far as I know, there is no gerber file for the TC4C.

A few years ago when Jim left for a while, I built some TC4 shields (V4.0 - older version) boards and set up a section here in the DIY area on how to build your own board if anyone is interested.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

shaper

JackH wrote:
As far as I know, there is no gerber file for the TC4C.

A few years ago when Jim left for a while, I built some TC4 shields (V4.0 - older version) boards and set up a section here in the DIY area on how to build your own board if anyone is interested.

Im looking for TC4 ( without C), it just was the best thread for this issue.
Thanks for direction. My only issue is with PCB...
I have found brd file for v4.0. Its the latest version where source available? I wonder how hard it would be to modify it to be latest version.

JackH
The V4.0 TC4 shield is the only version that is available with the files necessary to build PCB fabrications.

You can try this link to Oshpark who can make the PC fabs I believe you have to order a minimum of three boards I think it is $23 for the three.

https://www.oshpa...s/dolZshm9

I use this version of the TC4. Jim added some changes (indicator leds and other things like resistor packs to reduce the component count). But this will work.

You will need skill in surface mount soldering or have someone build it for you.

See if you can access this link. At one time it was limited to DIY members but I think it is now open to all members.

https://forum.hom...ad_id=3548

I have hundreds of hours of time putting this TC4 DIY project together because I believe in the TC4 design and hated to see it go. There was not much interest here because of the difficulty soldering, but some people did build it with success.

If you do decide to build, look at the discussion sections of the DIY area. There were changes made that appear on the newer TC4 version that I have added to the V4.0 board.
Edited by JackH on 12/10/2017 5:09 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

captnf
JackH Thank you for all your many hours of work on the TC4 DIY project ! I too have tried to order a TC4 shield from Jim with no reply. I hope all is well with him. So, being a old retired f@$t with time on my hands I decided ( seeing your excellent instructions etc.),to order the TC4 v4 PCB from Oshpark. Actually they are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I ordered some components from Digi-Key and solder, flux, solder wick, tweezers, pin headers etc. on EBay. I'm still waiting on some of the parts to come in. You wrote in the previous message that there were changes made that appear on the newer TC4 version that you have added to the V4.0 board. Can you tell me a little bit about the changes and if you feel I should make them. I run Artisan so I don't really need the LCD adapter, is that correct ? Thanks again for all the hard work you put in on the TC4 project. I will update,( probably after the first of the year)on my progress.

JackH
Welcome to the forum captnf!

The voltage source for the open collector outputs OT1 and OT2 were VIN. VIN is the supply voltage from the DC jack of the arduino. Jim changed it to the +5V regulated and changed two resistors from 2K Ohm to 1K. This allows the OT1/OT2 outputs to swing from 0V to 5V.

This is an issue if you use an external power pack to power the Arduino/TC4. Powering with USB is OK but I would still make the change.

Here is a post with the fix: https://forum.hom...ad_id=3814

The LCDApter was meant for standalone operation. You won't need it if you are using a computer to display.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

captnf
JackH

Thanks for the quick reply. After I went to the link you supplied I do remember the fix. I will do the mods and would you suggest that I go ahead and change the two 2k resistors also ?

JackH
I would change the resistors too. It will then be up to date with the V5 boards. The only other things he added were leds that light up for the OT outputs.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

captnf
Will do, Thanks JackH

Jump to Forum: