Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Looking for TC4C board
Will2

I wrote:
If you want, get it done, here you have gerber files:

So pcb goes through an audit in pcbhouse,
some adjustments had to be made to their requirements.
This file includes the necessary modifications:
Will2 attached the following file:
tc4_v601audited.rar [41.89kB / 727 Downloads]

Viliam

russ
I wanted to buy a Tc4 PCb a few month ago but no response. I decide to make this pcb board and working fine right now.
Edited by russ on 12/28/2017 7:20 PM

Will2
I have my boards at home, some parts are still missing.

up.picr.de/31475928dl.jpg
Viliam

BenKeith
I have a couple V5.3,s and 7.0's don't have a 6. If interest I could post pic's of the 7.

If there's a Gerber of the old board, how can I get a copy of the file to download?

Will2
I do not know anything about the existence of gerber files for older boards.
Some pcb houses make boards from .brd files:

https://code.goog...ult/source

Boards v.400 can be ordered in oshpark.com, see the post:

https://forum.hom...post_64504

You can also download the .brd file from oshpark.
Viliam

BenKeith
The .brd looks like it's only a color diagram of the layout.

My setup requires the ZCD interface and I didn't think that was added until one of the later designs, and I'm not too thrilled about having to redo the whole thing in CircuitMaker. I use CircuitMaker instead of Eagle. If there was a way I could get a copy of the 4.0 that I could import, then I would only need to modify it and not do a total design.

Will2
I've already found the cause.
Circuitmaker can not import files from older versions of Eagle.
When I save older file in a newer version of Eagle, then it is possible.

up.picr.de/31572117er.jpg
tc4_v400.rar [61.37kB / 606 Downloads]

Edited by Will2 on 01/19/2018 11:32 AM
Viliam

BenKeith
I have Eagle also, and I brought it up on Eagle, but that same picture you have posted is all I got. Now, I'm not very familiar with Eagle because I've never really used it since I started with CircuitMaker and much more comfortable with it, so maybe there was more and I just. I actually never downloaded Eagle until about a month ago when I was wanting to do something I didn't think Circuit make did and figured I would see if Eagle would, but then I figured out how to do it in CircuitMaker. The two programs are not similar enough that you are just going to jump back and forth between the two, but I've been playing with Eagle just to see how I liked it. I have to say, I still like CircuitMaker much better, but again, I know it a lot better.

Will2
You have two options:
1. do the work in the eagle.
2. import the file into Circuitmaker and do the work there.

I still do not know if you have been able to import a tc4-controller-0400.brd and tc4-controller-0400.sch files into Circuitmaker.
You see the picture that I did.
Viliam

Will2
The difference between Jimm?s version 6.00 and version 6.01
is in the size of some used components
(2x4-pole Phoenix instead of 1x8-pole Phoenix, bigger resistor array 0805 1kohm instead of 0603 1kohm).
I think the licensing rules are being followed.
partlistv601.rar [3.68kB / 722 Downloads]

Edited by Will2 on 01/19/2018 4:23 PM
Viliam

Will2

BenKeith wrote:
My setup requires the ZCD interface ...

For this reason, there is no need to make a new board.
I/02 connects to the LCD connector, GND and RS pin.
Viliam

BenKeith
I pretty much ruined the board in my stand alone controller and want a replacement for it, plus I want another spare. I have a LiPo battery inside stand alone controller. The charger had gone bad and when i plugged it in, it shorted the battery inside the case and melted the wires and some of the plastic case. I didn't know this until a couple months later when I went to use it again and it didn't work. When I opened it up, the acids in the smoke from the melted junk inside had caused some serous corrosion on everything inside. I washed and soaked everything even scrubbed with a fine brass brush, but it still looked like total crap. That was the one the fan stopped on during a roast the first time I tried to use it after that, so I'm pretty much going to trash everything inside that one.
I also got the brain fart idea of making something like the TC4C super board, and have everything even the display adapter on one board with header pins to connect to a I2C display like Brad is thinking about developing (see Brad, there's a means behind my madness), buttons etc. That's why the interest in getting something already developed for a TC4 or TC4C, that would save me many hours of computer time. Please note, this is only for my personal use, I have absolutely no plans in getting into the coffee controller business. Just like I'm a master mechanic, but only on one type of vehicle "MY OWN". I'm a person of many talents and with all the projects and stuff I keep going, that's time that's hard for me to come by.
I had to retire because when working, I didn't have time for all my projects and retiring only generated that many more.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/20/2018 6:50 AM

greencardigan

Will2 wrote:

I have my boards at home, some parts are still missing.

up.picr.de/31475928dl.jpg

Will, did you end up getting these boards working?

How did you solder the parts on? I have a hot air reflow station. Could I use that?

Will2
What a coincidence.
I'm just communicating about this with Ben.
I'll respond soon.
Viliam

Will2

greencardigan wrote:
Will, did you end up getting these boards working?
How did you solder the parts on? I have a hot air reflow station. Could I use that?

All boards worked on the first attempt.
The hot-air station is the best way to place the components in the board.
I also need a digital microscope.

Some people think I made a v6.01 board so I can sell it.
This is not true, even though the license terms allow sales.
My job is not related to electronics or coffee. I'm a building engineer.
I roast coffee for myself and for my wife.

I realize that the most work is with software development, I'm not strong in this.
That's why I decided to donate 2 pieces of finished board v6.01 to the one who supports the development of Artisan and aArtisan_Q software, write me PM. He would simply send the money for the board to Marko or Brad.

up.picr.de/31769756fs.jpg
up.picr.de/31833485wn.jpg

Viliam

mg512
I've made a TC4-compatible board for my own project; it has essentially all that the TC4 has, except some of the extra headers (e.g. the analog input headers; of course the functionality could still be accessed through the regular Arduino headers). Additionally, it featuers an optional voltage regulator for powering from DC sources, optionally a transistor attached to IO3 for direct control of a DC fan, a couple of I2C headers broken out for e.g. a display, and a header for HC-05 / HC-06 bluetooth modules.

Would there be interest in having this made available?

Will2
Hello,
compatibility with TC4 means that I can upload sketch aArtisanQ_PID and then connect it to Artisan as TC4?
Viliam

BenKeith
I've done the same as several others. About a month ago I ordered a TC4 shield from Jim and got no response. So, I drew up one and having some made. They sent me an email a couple days ago saying it was going into their production schedule so I should be receiving a shipping notification pretty soon. To order one, I get five, and for six dollars more I could get 10 so I got the 10.
Now, if they work, I think I have 10 TC4 compatible boards on the being made.
I didn't proto type a board first, I just drew it up and sent it off to have it made so as the old saying goes, the proofs in the pudding.

ahardinger
Are you having the PCB Fabs made or is it PCB + Assembly? Who do you use for PCB board service?

BenKeith
I'm having them made by a Chinese company called Elecrow https://www.elecr...uring.html . The boards were about 56mm x 62mm. Their price includes five boards. I got a quote on just having the SMD's done by their assembly, and them furnishing all the SMD parts was $188 for the five boards and shipping. That also included having the through holes castled with ain't a bad price.
Since I did not make a proof board, I needed to minimize my cost so I didn't care to pay that much for 5 assembled boards
So, I went the cheaper route, I also took off having the holes castled, that was approx. $15. For five 1.6mm boards with 1oz copper, it came to approx. $39. approx. $16 of that was for the Stencil require to make the boards. Adding an additional 5 boards, it cost me approx. $46 with 1st Class Air Mail delivery.
They are not the fastest company on the block but if you don't mind waiting two or three weeks, they make a quality board at a very reasonable price

If you want to consider their assembly, don't use their online order system. Email your Gerber files to their orders/customer service. Wade@elecrow.com was the rep I was using so you could probably just send them straight to him. Also, their list of files on the order site does not include the Assembly/Placement drawing that will be needed for them to do the assembly, so you need to include that.
Edited by BenKeith on 03/04/2018 9:12 PM

ahardinger
Thanks for the information Ben. FYI, if you want a faster and cheaper board source have you looked at JLCPCB? I get my boards from them (6mil trace/space 0.3mm drill) 2 & 4 layers. Never had a problem yet.

For a 2 layer board (100x100mm max) it's $2 for 10 pcs. Add $9 for a good quality stainless steel stencil. $18 for 4-day DHL Shipping. 2 day turn. I have boards in about a week for ~$30.

I'll check out elecrow for assembly services. I'm looking to price out some of my controller's. Mostly I hand place for my prototype boards but anything more than 10 pieces and that gets time consuming. =)

-Aaron

mg512

Will2 wrote:

Hello,
compatibility with TC4 means that I can upload sketch aArtisanQ_PID and then connect it to Artisan as TC4?

Yes. It's the same ICs as on the TC4, MCP3424 ADC and MCP9800 temperature sensor. Optionally also the EEPROM, although I skipped it on mine as I'm not using the standalone mode or the custom calibration (I don't think anything else is using the EEPROM). I'm running aArtisan-3.10 on it, but I assume aArtisanQ_PID should work just as well.

ahardinger wrote:

Thanks for the information Ben. FYI, if you want a faster and cheaper board source have you looked at JLCPCB? I get my boards from them (6mil trace/space 0.3mm drill) 2 & 4 layers. Never had a problem yet.

For a 2 layer board (100x100mm max) it's $2 for 10 pcs. Add $9 for a good quality stainless steel stencil. $18 for 4-day DHL Shipping. 2 day turn. I have boards in about a week for ~$30.

I'll check out elecrow for assembly services. I'm looking to price out some of my controller's. Mostly I hand place for my prototype boards but anything more than 10 pieces and that gets time consuming. =)

-Aaron

For PCBs, some other good options are oshpark.com (PCBs only), aisler.net (PCBs, stencils, and parts all in one order, with parts labelled for where they go. Very handy!), and allpcb.com (I've only tried their PCBs, but they also do stencils and assembly).

James211
I used the audited version and order a board today, hopefully it will work out, the board looks right on the site. Here is a link for people - https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/bCbNGD8U

Chert
Hi, I'm Flint. I joined Homeroasters out of interest of the TC4 / aArtisan project. Thanks to Jim Gallt and all the folks here that collaborated on that. It and Artisan have made roasting even more enjoyable than it was in my pre HUKY convectiontopbreadbaker days. I bought a built V6.00 from Jim and - to learn some soldering - I bought a kit with surface mounted components already on from him. And I still use a V5.30 that popped up for sale on HomeBarista a few years ago. That one connected to LCD controls my DC fan (IO3 and a mosfet circuit/24 V power supply). I

V6.00 boards I have two: I put one to use for a friend to control AC fan over OT1 during roast monitoring. He stopped roasting so I have that setup back and I am currently using V6.00 #2 as I built up a new stove setup which I will control AC fan by OT1 and gas-valve via IO3.

And I have a V4.0 PCB which -my effort proved the hot air system would be better to afix surface mounted components than my lousy soldering skills. Anyway, that one has the ADC chip and IC1 and C1 connected. I could give it away to someone with skill to rework/finish.

Husamka
Hi, Is there anyone has found a company who can sell us TC4?

Jump to Forum: