Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1600+
mkane
Has been ordered. I've been scouring threads for a couple of weeks and was going to skip right on past the Behmor and go straight to the Hottop. Then, up pops this new open box 1600+ for a song and couldn't resist. Eagerly waiting it's arrival. At the moment I'm a WP roaster. Here's a pic the latest. For the most part my previous roasts taste great if not a bit woody. My wife likes a dark roast and I'm headed the other direction. It's difficult to get repeatable results with the Whirley Pop. All rest at least 5 days.
mkane attached the following image:
dsc_0322_1.jpg

mkane
It arrived and throwing err5 code. bit of digging and Behmor says loose connection or bad cooling fan. So off come the right side panel and the door latch mechanism isn't connected to the door, it's jammed against the pcb. I try and get this back where it belongs without taking the entire roaster apart. Not luck and the door arm's in my hand. The roaster work now. Suppose the arm was causing some issue leaning up against the pcb. Burned the heck out of the first complete roast so we will call it vienna. Let the machine cool and the second roast turned out a bit uneven. I'll keep at it.
Always learning

mkane
This mornings roast is cooling down as I type. Used rosetta stone button 3 times and got into the very beginning of 2c. Think this was a better roast . Still need to address the door issue.
Always learning

mkane
Feedback on this roast if you will please. My wife likes it dark.
mkane attached the following images:
dsc_0328.jpg dsc_0322_2.jpg

Always learning

turtle
The coffee in your first post looks a little under-roasted and a little uneven.

It might taste grassy and be hard to grind as it does not appear to be fully roasted.

The beans in your last post on the left (the "bunch of beans" photo) looks to be a good city level even roast. You should find them full flavored.

The two beans together are taken past what Behmor recommends (Vienna or so). These may taste burnt in the cup. It might make a good espresso.

That's what I see any but as they say proof is in the pudding/tasting.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

mkane
Thanks for the feedback. I'll give the top roast a try.
Always learning

mkane
Now I know what grassy tastes like. 4 oz in the trash
Always learning

mkane
Now that's a better cup, the pile next to the two beans and on 5 hrs. rest.
Always learning

turtle
Behmor makes a fine city to city+ roast. More than that and it is a gamble as it overheats very quickly once you get past city+ which is why they recommend you don't do dark roasts with their product.

The thing to do is find the settings that work within their design and stick with it. You may need to do some subtle modifications/tweaking on time from bean to bean (different origins) but consistency is the name of the game with a 1600+

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

mkane
Thanks and heres the latest. Indian Mysore Nug's
dsc_0323.jpg

Always learning

mkane
An Indonesian FTO G1 Triple Pic bla bla. Looks like there's a bit of tipping on this roast. I used P3-c. next time I'll use P2. I'm keeping notes.
mkane attached the following images:
dsc_0324.jpg dsc_0323_1.jpg dsc_0322.jpg

Always learning

mkane
Either slow down or drink more. Back to 1/4 lb batches.
Always learning

mkane
I'm approx. @ my 10th roast. Not quite where I want to be wanting something lighter. Need to anticipate 1C.
dsc_0322_1_1.jpg

Always learning

Jump to Forum: