Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Preheating with Heat Gun
Josh025
Hello all,

I recently built a flour sifter/Heat gun roaster and I've begun logging my roast using a mastech ms6514 and an old laptop. I've heard of preheating the roasting chamber beforehand, but does the roughly 400F target apply for small chambers like a flour sifter as well?

It seems my chamber likes to get around 320F but has difficulty rising above that before the charge is added.

renatoa
A flour sifter has too small heat capacity to retain something.
Also, when empty, the air path is too straight bottom up and air column too focused in the middle, that the walls get too small heat and instantly loss it to the surrounding air.
For this machine, as for popper, you should not worry about thermal inertia, heat is 100% hot air, and is instant, on demand.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

Josh025
Sorry it took so long to respond, but thank you for the insight!

Jump to Forum: