Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ethiopian DP in the Behmor.1600+
pjjacob
I?m about 10 roasts in with my new Behmor 1600+ and I?m not happy with my results but also not sure what to do about it. I really like DP Ethiopians and had the profile dialed in with my Fresh Roast SR 500. I need more capacity thus the move to the Behmor. My results so far tend to be a bit on the muddy side, lacking the bright fruitiness that I like so much from the Ethiopian Yirgs I usually favor.

I?ve tried several different profiles that are supposedly for DP Ethiopian beans, both manual and automatic (P3 I believe). One of the consistent problems seems to be that there?s not a definite end to 1C, but rather it trails off slowly. I?ve read that a compact energetic 1C is desired but I cant seem to achieve that.

Looking for general advice on what kind of profile to use with these beans, e.g., slow start fast finish, or fast start slow finish or ? Not having a way to directly measure bean temperature also has me confused as I had a direct thermocouple readout with my SR 500. The B temp seems to be the only approximation available but I don?t know how to interpret it. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

btreichel
Pre heat 4 minutes with the chaff collector in; aka, 1/4 lb setting until temp a starts to read. Put the greens in, p5, d button to faster drum speed. P1 when temp b hits around 320, prevents overheat error, when temp a reads, back to p5. At 1c , p3.

I use a variac to make sure I'm roasting at 120 volts. That also let's me reduce the voltage, around 113, to avoid the over heat before the vent opens. 7.5 minutes at a 1 lb setting. Then back to p5.

pjjacob
How big of a charge are you using with that profile?

btreichel
300 gr. I split 2 lbs, 3 ways. 10 to 12 to 1st, normally around 11, but depends on.the bean.

Jump to Forum: