Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Update to my TC4 control box
greencardigan
I've stripped down my old TC4 controller and built it all onto a new box with a few enhancements.

In preparation for my current roaster build, I wanted another SSR to switch extra elements. I have the OT1 output triggering two SSR, one on each of the power circuits I'll use.

Also, I've swapped the LCDapter with a cheap LCD which also connects using I2C. I've made changes to aArtisan_PID sketch to support these LCDs and hope to release that soon once I do a bit more testing.

I have retained the zero cross detector for phase angle control of my blower and also kept the bluetooth module for wireless logging and control.
greencardigan attached the following images:
screenshot_20180211-231030_01.jpg screenshot_20180211-231346_01.jpg screenshot_20180211-230851_01.jpg screenshot_20180211-230858_01.jpg screenshot_20180211-231810_01.jpg

Edited by greencardigan on 02/11/2018 6:18 AM

JackH
Looking good Brad.

The LcdApter had an odd channel for I2C, I think Ch5.
It was not easy to adapt other I2C boards without software changes.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

greencardigan
It's a big box but was much easier to lay out all the parts and cables. My old box was a mess.

It was quite easy to get the cheap I2C LCD working once I worked out which library it needed. And thanks to BenKeith for sending me the LCD to test.

Will2
Nice work Brad,
it will be difficult for you keep alive parallel aArtisanQ_PID in both versions of I2C_LCD for MCP23017 too for PCF8574?
I2C address is 0x3F or 0x27? Is it possible to use PCF8574 as a port expander?

Beware of the thermocouple connectors, the MCP9800 for cold junction measurement will have a different temperature than the cold junctions - a big measurement error! Try it with a hot-air gun. That's why I left my box open.
Viliam

greencardigan
It should be possible to add support for PCF8574 port expander. I currently have the buttons connected directly to the Arduino digital inputs as there were some not being used.

The I2C Address for LCD I am using is 0x3F, but I added a compile directive in user.h so it can be changed.

Are you referring to the MCP9000 sensor being inside the box and the cold junction is outside the box at the connectors? I may add some ventilation to the box as this will also help keep the SSR cooler. Just need to keep chaff out.

CK
Thanks for the helpful images showing how you arranged the electronics. I'm connecting your TC4 and am wondering how the analog POT's work in your setup? Do they limit overall power when running an Artisan roast profile, or work for manual roasts only?

greencardigan
They are mostly for manual control. When the PID is active it will override what the heater pot is set to. The pot controlling the blower will remain working all the time.

JSA Coffee
Yes, thanks for sharing!! I had no idea that 2 SSRs could be run on on one channel like that.

greencardigan
Another update to my roaster controller. I've added a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ into the box.

- Raspberry Pi running Raspbian OS and Artisan Roasting Software.
- Raspberry Pi running with no screen physically connected.
- Connecting to Raspberry pi via RealVNC to have a remote screen. This works with most systems including Android and iOS.
- Arduino/TC4 shield running aArtisanQ_PID in Artisan mode.
- Arduino connected to Pi via USB.

Pros:
- No need to have laptop outside when roasting and retaining Artisan logging/control.
- Can still run manual roasts using the TC4 without running Artisan.
- Could support a Raspberry Pi touch screen instead of remote screen if desired.

Cons:
- Lots of system components and connections. More places for the system to fall over?

NewBean
Love it Brad, do you have a up to date parts list? I want to follow your build to a T! Thanks for joining my discord server!

JackH
Nice work!

Back in 2013, I got the linux version of Roastlogger working with the original raspberry pi but it was very slow. The newer PI's should be much better.
Edited by JackH on 06/02/2019 2:59 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

greencardigan
Artisan runs a bit slow on the Pi 3 B+ but it's quite usable.

greencardigan

NewBean wrote:

Love it Brad, do you have a up to date parts list? I want to follow your build to a T! Thanks for joining my discord server!

Hmm, I don't really have a parts list. I did a bit of a list for my larger roaster when I was trying to add up what it cost. But I think you're looking at my smaller roaster.

NewBean
Hey buddy, not sure which is your larger one in your smaller one but I was watching the one where you have the iPad running artisan. I'm trying to put a parts list together so I only do one order over on my discord channel hoping I can finalize everything with the correct parts and then start to order

greencardigan
Ok that's my larger one. There's a build thread here. And a list of parts on the second page.

https://forum.hom...ad_id=5498

I'll pop into the discord channel when I get a chance.

NewBean
Thanks for the reply and link I'll be sure to check it out

greencardigan
I've made a small update to my controller by adding a 7" touchscreen LCD to the Raspberry Pi. I had previously been using VNC to remotely connect to the Raspberry Pi and use my phone or tablet as a remote screen. Having the built in screen means I'm not relying on a cloud/WiFi connection and the possibility of losing connection during a roast.

renatoa
What about Modbus TCP instead ?
The TC4 board is the server, and RasPI is client, no conflict with existing wifi around.
I can share my TC3ESP Modbus link implementation, that emulates a Besca roaster, to anyone interested.
No Artisan config needed, just select Besca Auto from devices list.

Jump to Forum: