Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's the deal with Guatemalan beans
Woodhouse
Are Guatemalan beans particularly tricky? My friend just got back from Guatemala and brought me some. I've been waiting two weeks for these.

I just roasted a pound and they almost got away from me. The beans are small, almost like they were split in two. Because of this many of them got stuck in the screen of the drum in the Behmor, so the outside were burnt.

At about 315 degrees they really started to smoke. I heard second crack start (for the first time) and started the cooling cycle. I pulled them out and they are a little uneven; some are lighter than others.

They're not black though, so I am going to let tnem gas off for a couple of days and try them.

renatoa
They could be peaberry, no experience with them, avoiding exactly for the reasons above.
https://en.wikipe...i/Peaberry

But they aren't representative for the whole Guatemala coffee, whose beans are bigger than average, especially the Huehuetenango I roast weekly for my office.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

Woodhouse
I'll do some research on peaberry. How are the Huehuetenango?

renatoa
Not bad for the price, is one of the cheapest greens I find locally, but delivering more than other sud-Americans at same price.
Blended with Honduras or Brasil result is good for long drinks specific to offices.

brianalfaro

Woodhouse wrote:

Are Guatemalan beans particularly tricky? My friend just got back from Guatemala and brought me some. I've been waiting two weeks for these.

I just roasted a pound and they almost got away from me. The beans are small, almost like they were split in two. Because of this many of them got stuck in the screen of the drum in the Behmor, so the outside was burnt.

At about 315 degrees they really started to smoke. I heard the second crack start (for the first time) and started the cooling cycle. I pulled them out and they are a little uneven; some are lighter than others.

They're not black though, so I am going to let them gas off for a couple of days and try them.

The best way to roast Guatemalan beans is roasting in a pan or oven is the way to get fresh beans.

Jump to Forum: