Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 alternative and zero cross update
alexcampbell
Hello,
I have not been working on my roaster much lately, but I have a few updates. I have noticed that there is a LOT of questions about TC4s and alternatives.
I have been roasting with just an arduino, a thermocouple interface and an SSR for several years. I have just recently added zero cross detection for my roaster to control the blower motor (1lb Fluid bed).
I use an Arduino Uno and a MAX6675 thermocouple interface. For my heater, I use a cheap, 40amp SSR. If you get an UNO clone, you could be set up for probably less than $20, all from Aliexpress or Ebay.
I have always used Roastlogger, but I am interested in Artisan, although I am not sure how to modify the code to get it to work without a TC4. I control my Poppery I and my big fluid bed with the PID built into roastlogger.

Here is my original setup with a "Nano" arduino.
farm1.staticflickr.com/656/21007295800_8463f70ed5_z.jpg

The ZCD was a steep learning curve, but all I really needed to do was actually follow the circuit diagram for the parts. I ended up using a H11AA1 optocoupler with an MOC3011 triac driver and a BT139 triac. The real trickery was in the arduino code.....
I found a library called "dimmer" https://github.com/circuitar/Dimmer that simplifies all of the zero cross code to 4 lines. All you do is set up which pin you want as an output and send it a 0-100 for output.

#include "Dimmer.h"
Dimmer fanACpwm(10, DIMMER_NORMAL) //sets pin 10 as output
fanACpwm.begin();
fanACpwm.set(setFanLevel) //setFanLevel comes in from roast logger as 0-100

That is all of the code for zero cross. I did find that the dimmer library wouldn't compile, so I had to add "include <arduino.h>" at the beginning of the file dimmer.h or it wouldn't compile.

Here is my ZCD board including input and output section. This is with an arduino UNO.
farm1.staticflickr.com/807/40462676765_30261e2ea1_z.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/24DxN72]

Here is my question; is there demand for a simple arduino shield with 2 thermocouple inputs and connectors to output to an SSR? What about zero cross? I also feel inputs for manual control would be good (just a couple of pots).
I have PCB design experience and this is something that would be really easy to put together. I don't have a lot of desire to build and ship electronics (I have done this in the past with surface mount boards) but I am going to make something for myself and I would like to assist the community. Hopefully someone could assist me to write some code and really simplify the roast logger and artisan sketches. Most of the code in either of those programs should be in a library with only things you can change or modify in the front end. I am not interested in making stand alone boards with displays either, but I am sure someone could modify to suit once the basics are down.

Thoughts?

renatoa
Check on github the popC project, it does 99% what you want.
No pots, just a single button !
And pizza too.... er, TC4 compatibility and WiFi. smile
All with a $9 board, and Arduino.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

alexcampbell
Thanks. Looks neat, but complicated code.

renatoa

alexcampbell wrote:

Thanks. Looks neat, but complicated code.

If you think roasting is simple...
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

btreichel
Got curious, but couldn't even find it.

btreichel
Thanks, I remember this now.

alexcampbell
So where I am at with this hardware project is an Arduino UNO shield with 2 MAX31855s, 2 SSR outputs, 1 MOSFET output, and zero cross option. I have 3 pin headers for pots if you wanted to control manually, in which case you could still log with roast logger or artisan.

Should l throw on an I2C header for an LCD?

btreichel
It's nice to a dedicated display so that the artisan can be a nice to have, not a must to be able to roast. You can get a i2c lcd with pushbuttons, and then don't have to bother with the pots. Just my 0.02$

Jump to Forum: