Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need a solid piece of furniture
anne_flemmings
Rainy evenings and a cup of hot coffee are like butter and bread; the smell of petrichor and the sound of raindrops is a relaxing feeling. This has become a habit and I can't stop. I've also felt that it's the perfect time for the brain to absorb a lot of information and that's why I've started reading books. However, there has been a major obstruction- my old coffee table broke.

The legs were made out of cheap plywood and the other day, the dog knocked it down and the legs split into two and the head dislodged. I'm been looking around for furniture to get a new table but I'd like to know which type of wood is the strongest and the most durable despite being expensive.
Edited by JackH on 06/27/2018 4:18 PM

ruddhess
Maple.

JackH
Hmm ...An embedded ad for a Canadian surplus furniture store.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ChicagoJohn

JackH wrote:

That's pretty strange, eh?
So many beans; so little time....

allenb

anne_flemmings wrote:

my old coffee table broke.

The legs were made out of cheap plywood and the other day, the dog knocked it down and the legs split into two and the head dislodged.

I hate it when heads dislodge! Very unpleasant. thumbdown

That's why I only buy handmade plywood furniture that was built in the 17th century! Has a beautiful old world scent. Each ply hand planed and lovingly glued together by a master craftsman. Also, no artificial glues. Only hide and fish glues!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ruddhess

allenb wrote:

That's why I only buy handmade plywood furniture that was built in the 17th century! Has a beautiful old world scent. Each ply hand planed and lovingly glued together by a master craftsman. Also, no artificial glues. Only hide and fish glues!

Allen

Ah, the 1600s - when plywood was REAL!! Not like that space age stuff we have to deal with today. ThumbsUp

Rodney

LI_Pete
Looks like he/she racked up 6 content-free posts before the spam...

Randy G

JackH wrote:

She had an embedded spam link removed from another of her posts. The finger of death points...

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

JackH
I usually check all links for malware/virus. The other post's link triggered a adware message for me so I got rid of it.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb

Ah, the 1600s - when plywood was REAL!! Not like that space age stuff we have to deal with today. ThumbsUp

Rodney

Took the words right out of my mouth! Now the same can be said of particle board and flakeboard from the golden era of the middle ages versus the bland looking commercially made stuff of today.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ruddhess
Mmmm, yes. Pretense boardicle and Fakeboard (even the highly regarded medieval density feebleboard), such a delight to carve the ornate yet casual gargoyled cornice! :-) Boredmeisters Unite!!

turtle
Go stone.

If your dog breaks that, you ain't got a dog.

jeannemarieimports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Large-Stone-Table-Copy-350x173.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Jump to Forum: