Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Baratza Virtuoso vs Breville Smart Grind Pro
Ken_K
I currently roast with a Behmor 1600 Plus and brew with a Bonavita drip brewer. My current grinder is a Capresso that I purchased at Costco. I?m considering replacing it with one of the 2 above mentioned grinders. On the surface the Breville seems to be a better value for the money but am concerned about a relatively high number of negative reviews. Everyone seems to love the Baratza.
I?d greatly appreciate any insight that would help with this decision.
Edited by Ken_K on 06/29/2018 3:28 PM

oldwasichu
I use a Capresso at the office as I do pourovers there since the free office coffee is terrible as is their city water. My home grinder is a Baratza Virtuoso. I love the consistency and wider variety of settings versus what the Capresso can do.

Ken_K
Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate the information.

JackH
Welcome Ken!

I have the Baratza Encore and find it very reliable. The Virtuoso is a step up and I think you will like it for pour-overs.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

turtle
Baratza is simple, well built, and easily maintained (cleaned and repaired). Repair parts are readily available for all models they have ever made AND they are very reasonable not to mention simple to repair.

I can't speak for any other grinders. I've owned a number of Baratza grinders

I do own a capresso and I agree with you on that grinder. It is better than a whirly blade but other than that, it is right at the OK level. I got mine at Goodwill for $4 and had to think about spending that much since I already had a Forte BG.

Glad I bought it as it grinds the odd robusta for the moka pot. Far easier to weigh out what I need in the empty Forte bin and toss the weighed beans into the capersso then grind it all than it is to fiddle with removing the hopper, clearing out the remaining beans in the Forte's throat and grind a single time, then put it all back together again.

I'm still looking for a 2nd grinder (you can tell how much I like the capresso)

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Ken_K
Thanks Jack & Turtle for your comments. Much appreciated. Looks like the Baratza is the one. I?ve read good things about buying a refurbished model so I think I?ll go that route.

Jump to Forum: