renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roast Profiles - For Behmor 1600 Plus Manual Mode
JCafe
Hi

I am new to roasting, and would like to access temperature and time curve profiles for this machine, to achieve a Full City Plus to Vienna roast for a variety of coffee bean types.

I have been roasting 1/4 lb roasts in manual mode, at a ?P5? temperature setting, and max drum rotation speed. While I have been able to successfully drop and cool the roast to achieve the desired roast level, I suspect that I could enhance quality/taste through a better temp curve and longer roast time. Can you offer any roast profile (temp/time curve) suggestions? Or links thereto?

I do have a thermocouple and meter, that I insert in through the front door, with the tip just in front of the drum, that I suspect is more accurate than the built in thermocouple, as: a) my thermocouple?s temp is considerably higher than the Bremor?s, and b) the machine was purchased ?used?. And comments on this?

Appreciatively

JCafe

allenb
Julian,

I see no replies to your question on profile help for the Behmor. Unfortunately, with not being able to sense anything more then the near-drum environment temperature, there's really no profile other than trying to repeat an environment temp profile which with varying outside ambient temperatures, makes even this mostly impossible.

There's been many Behmor threads where users post various combinations of settings that have produced good results but I'm guessing these may or may not be able to be repeated with the same results due again to environmental factors. My suggestion would be to experiment with some of the settings that folks have claimed to have produced good results and try variations on them. Let us know how things turn out.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Ozo
I do not own the machine but if it were me I would take Joe Behm' advise as he "invented" the machine. In this video he explains it very clearly and quickly in the video linked below.
There is another video with Mr. Behm explaining the 1600plus to Gail at Seattle Coffee Gear which is much longer and a harder to follow (search Behmor 1600 on Youtube). The videos from Sweet Marias Tom Owen explain the basics very well.

https://www.youtu...899VD-5eUA
Edited by Ozo on 08/15/2018 7:41 AM
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

renatoa
Rectangular shaped electric ovens, with a frying rotating mesh drum exist long time before Behmor, not sure which part of this machine is an invention...

JackH
Maybe the fact that you can roast coffee with it?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Ozo

renatoa wrote:

Rectangular shaped electric ovens, with a frying rotating mesh drum exist long time before Behmor, not sure which part of this machine is an invention...

I was quoting Barry from Roast Masters in the video. Is the quartz heating element method new?
Edited by Ozo on 08/15/2018 8:07 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

renatoa
Nope, since 1950
https://en.wikipe...heat_lamps

Ozo
I have never seen a coffee roaster with that as the heat source. Got a link?
Tim

Andrea Illy

renatoa
Any turbo oven class roaster, if removing the halogen protection plate, will roast using majoritar radiant heat, even if they are not using this specific quartz tube. Especially the Sunpentown models, using carbon fiber filament instead metal.
One of my machines, the 400-800 g model, which is basically a Stronghold with a different airflow, are using a halogen carbon fiber tube that produce same kind of heat as quartz.
Commercially you can find some roasters based on same heat source/principle: Imex Digirosto 1500, Ceroffee, Rubasse, Stronghold.
Edited by renatoa on 08/16/2018 4:51 AM

Jump to Forum: