Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Breville Dose Control Pro
Ozo
I am waiting patiently (not) for my new conical burr (hardened stainless steel) grinder being shipped from Canada. After 5 days I have a tracking # but it is not yet in transit. It is a "factory refurbished" Breville BCG600SIL (Dose Control Pro). These have been discontinued by the manufacturer (probably just open box) and the only ones I see for sale are these refurbished units on Ebay but the price is comparatively low. The total was $114.84 which includes shipping/tax. There are only 2 left out of 69 so I was just in time.

I have read reviews, watched videos etc. and this will grind for my espresso machine. It is much simpler (no view screen etc. etc.) than the more recent ones which are aimed at pour over users. It is designed primarily for dosing portafilters but grinds for anything. The bean holder is smaller but since I only grind one at a time that is good. The feature I like a lot is the ease of cleaning as the top burr pops right out. I had a Rancilio Rocky but it was a PITA to clean. I have a small shop vac to aid cleaning so I should be happy with that.

There is a plastic bean mover inside that is well known to wear out fairy quickly and but one place to get a replacement. I already purchased that so am good for years. Here is a stock photo of the grinder:
i.imgur.com/h9Pkh7p.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/17/2018 11:05 AM
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

Koffee Kosmo
Nice little unit
Keep it clean in the burr section with regular service and you should be happy with it

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Ozo

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

Nice little unit
Keep it clean in the burr section with regular service and you should be happy with it

KK

That is one of the main reasons I like it. The top burr pops right out. I also bought a Micro Shop-Vac (brand) to make it easier.or rather more thorough. Photo in the Bucket Cooler thread.
Edited by Ozo on 08/12/2018 8:12 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
Nice grinder and what a great price! I agree with you on cleaning the Rocky. Another issue I have with it is jamming up when I go from over 40 for my immersion modified French press filtered brew to my wife's espresso at a 7. I'll be interested to see your comments on the new one you bought.
So many beans; so little time....

Ozo

ChicagoJohn wrote:

Nice grinder and what a great price! I agree with you on cleaning the Rocky. Another issue I have with it is jamming up when I go from over 40 for my immersion modified French press filtered brew to my wife's espresso at a 7. I'll be interested to see your comments on the new one you bought.

I am still waiting on delivery and still no tracking but, I contacted the seller in Canada who confirms it had reached NY several days ago. It should be here any day even later today.

Like I said that price is almost history but there are still two left here is the link:

https://www.ebay....2749.l2649

Of course there are reviews on Youtube. This one is a comparison of the Breville grinders.
https://www.youtu...oi-pJNG5RI

The later more sophisticated models can be pretty inexpensive too. I had purchased a used one but it arrived damaged so I went for this simpler one when I saw it at this price which was the same as the more sophisticated one, used.

Here is a photo of the plastic bean mover I referred to and which also is seen on Youtube.

i.imgur.com/rcJvOuN.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/13/2018 4:40 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

JackH
Large links can sometimes cause problems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breville-BCG600SIL-Coffee-Grinder-Refurbished/122435842444?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Was your original link. I highlighted the entire text and selected right click - cut. Be careful not to get any trailing spaces.

Use the 5th icon from the left on the bottom of the message screen and then paste the text between the brackets ][.

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Ozo

JackH wrote:

Large links can sometimes cause problems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breville-BCG600SIL-Coffee-Grinder-Refurbished/122435842444?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Was your original link. I highlighted the entire text and selected right click - cut. Be careful not to get any trailing spaces.

Use the 5th icon from the left on the bottom of the message screen and then paste the text between the brackets ][.

I just did a test and copied the address while editing. I highlighted it like I have been doing. I then clicked the 5th button and it produced the hot link.

I then did a test with a short address that way and it did not produce a hot link. Then I did it the way you mention pasting between the brackets and that did produce a hot link.

The highlighting method is a little better for me as I have to magnify to see the cursor between the brackets but next time the highlighting method fails I will do it the way you suggest. Still it is odd that sometimes even the short link fails.

Thank you for helping me with this.
Edited by Ozo on 08/13/2018 6:32 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn

Thank you for helping me with this.

roar

Ozo
The grinder finally showed up and is brand new. It is an open box item, perfect. The Eagle on top did not come with it of course. It is cast iron and was from a Flea market in Cumberland Maryland (my home town). I had it mounted to other grinders but pass it on to the one I currently use. Reminiscent of the Italian grinders of the past and is still used on some produced recently.

I have been dialing it in along with the Rancilio silvia, see photo. Temperature surfing the silvia (from video) etc, Bottomless portafilter (new to me), and dialing in the grind of a new grinder all at the same time was a tad intense but I am pretty close but will approach it again tomorrow. All this coffee tasting is getting me wired. Actually just anticipating the arrival of the grinder and all my recent posting has got me drinking more coffee than usual so I was already pretty wound up.
The photo shows only half of the pucks I created. The fifty cent cutting boards (plastic) made keeping up with the mess easy. Also transferring beans was a snap (pun intended). Notice the crease for precise pouring.

An unexpected problem did arise. I was using the silvia' double shot basket at first but it leaked at the machines group head seal and I could not resolve it so am now using the triple shot basket which came with the bottomless portafilter and it works perfectly. The portafilter was the least expensive available on Amazon and cost $38.20 total. It has great reviews and is doing nicely for me.

EDIT: Dosing is really easy. I just push the knob and it grinds directly into the portafilter for about 15 seconds to dispense a double dose into the triple dose basket.

i.imgur.com/xqI9Zfs.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/15/2018 7:00 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
This grinder is easy to clean but to get all of the grounds it is still required to use compressed air even after vacuuming with a shop vac. Either that or remove the bottom burr. Here is a photo of my grinder cleaning tools.The can is compressed air (more powerful without the red tube). After brushing and vacuuming there may still be coffee grounds in there. Use a bright light and (magnification) you will see some brown color down in there. Aim the red tube directly at that area and then all around in there and you will see grounds appear. Do a final brushing and done.
i.imgur.com/5NHKEZe.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/14/2018 5:47 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
Review

I am grinding for espresso. After a couple of days fussing with it I am happy with the grind/time. The internal setting default was 6 but is now 5 ( finer than the default). The external grind setting is just one click from maximum fine. It could go much finer with an internal burr setting adjustment but is fine so far.The quantity of espresso is exactly 2 ounces. I get a solid puck. The time for a double is 15 seconds with a quantity of 14.15 grams. woohoo

The manual which comes along with it is well done.

Examination of the ground coffee feels fine with no coarse particles.

The quantity is consistently the same amount.

One fault that I noticed is that the markings on the bean hopper are difficult to see but there are some highly visible stickers in another language which come with it. The one for Espresso is spelled the same so I used it to mark that end of the scale to avoid accidentally changing the setting.

Another fault is that the grinder is very light weight due to the entire housing being plastic. Once I attached the cast iron Eagle to the lid it was much more acceptable. To avoid ruining the clear plastic lid I used my stainless steel saucer placed upside down there and tacked it down on the edges with some flexible glue that is removable but would leave a mark on the clear plastic. The Eagle is glued to the bottom side of the shallow saucer. It is a perfect fit without covering the rubber edge of the lid.The Eagle makes a good handle too. The Espresso sticker I mentioned is visible in the photo too.

i.imgur.com/EIrdHh0.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/17/2018 11:47 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo

ChicagoJohn wrote:

I did that, grinding to max coarseness (internal setting still at 5) and then when I turned the hopper (ext. setting) back to Espresso it would not go all the way there. The simple fix is to grind for a couple of seconds then it goes all the way easily. Reset the timer and done. It is caused by a bean (beans?) in the burrs which is "normal".

I found out the hard way that you must hold the receiver (jar etc.) close to the area the grounds come out or it will make a mess. The shop vac was useful for that.

i.imgur.com/PTrNgap.jpg
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
So I take it the Breville has the same issue, then. That's the technique I use for the Rocky -- to turn it down from max to like a 7 -- when it sticks, I run for a few seconds. So But sometimes it can take a while. Never happens right after I clean the burrs.

Without a size reference it's hard to tell, but you photo looks like what I would use at max for my modified French press / cone filter brewing method.

Ozo
Sounds like the same problem I guess. Mine only sticks (?) when I am reducing the grind to fine. That makes sense as the burrs are getting closer together.

How about a photo of that brewing method. Is it your own design? I have an Aero press which uses finely ground beans and makes great coffee. Actually I have two of them but one is hiding somewhere so I had to buy the second. It was my backup when I had no espresso machine.
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn

Ozo wrote:

Sounds like the same problem I guess. Mine only sticks (?) when I am reducing the grind to fine. That makes sense as the burrs are getting closer together.

How about a photo of that brewing method. Is it your own design? I have an Aero press which uses finely ground beans and makes great coffee. Actually I have two of them but one is hiding somewhere so I had to buy the second. It was my backup when I had no espresso machine.

Yes, mine only does it going from coarse to fine too, but not for several roasts after I've cleaned it, and also not every time I change it. Anyway, it is what it is....

I used an Aeropress for a year or too and decided to try this alternative method and like it better mainly in ease of cleanup and amount I can make at once. Also gravity does the hard work. I just heat 500 ml of water in a pyrex measuring cup in a microwave to about 200?F (was heating to 180?F until recently), pour all but one cup into my insulated mug, put a stainless steel paperless cone on the mug with a Hario 02 washed filter in it (new step to remove cafestol) and then I vigorously stir 45 gm of course grind in the remaining cup of water in the pyrex measuring cup for about 80 seconds and then dump the slurry all at once into the cone, (which fills it). Then I wait a minute or so until flow drops to a drip at a time. It's easy to dump the paper cone into the waste basket and rinse out the SS cone and measuring cup, and I'm done. This way I figure every grounds particle gets approximately equal exposure to the water as opposed to the pour-over process.

Ozo
UPDATE I am sad to report that this grinder is under powered if grinding harder beans. The Yemen beans I roasted bogged the grinder down and no adjustments I made solved the problem. I ground coarser and weighed the grounds prior to brewing but sometimes it would grind it and sometimes it would not. I noticed that it was a little weak with the Sumatra beans that I tried first but now it is problematic to say the least. I still have several pounds of those green beans too.

EDIT Now looking at Baratza Sette 270. It is 270 watts and grinds very fast. It will grind 18 grams in 4.5 seconds. It is even easier to clean and due to its design there are very nearly zero grounds left in the chute. Pricey but when you consider that the Rocky is $370, this one at $399 is not far off the mark. The Baratza 270W weighs the coffee but is $100 more.

A negative point is that the burrs are not replaceable as the upper burr which spins is attached as an assembly to the motor.

Second negative is it is loud so for 4.5 seconds you can put your fingers in your ears.

Biggest negative is that it does not grind coarse enough. I only grind for espresso or Aero Press so...

I chose this video because the "personality" reviews were just too intense especially... well never mind that.

Edited by Ozo on 08/18/2018 6:32 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
If you have a volt meter, it might be interesting to plug that into another receptacle plug on the same circuit (additional receptacle in the same box) and see if there might be a significant drop in voltage as you are grinding one of the harder ones. (And whether the non-load voltage is actually 120VAC to begin with)

Ozo

ChicagoJohn wrote:

If you have a volt meter, it might be interesting to plug that into another receptacle plug on the same circuit (additional receptacle in the same box) and see if there might be a significant drop in voltage as you are grinding one of the harder ones. (And whether the non-load voltage is actually 120VAC to begin with)

With a meter I trust all the outlets are exactly 120 volts. I have no more hard beans to test. Also, it did seem a little weak with the other beans so no big surprise that it would bog down with a bigger load. I doubt that it is an electrical fault in the grinder.

EDIT I am looking to see how many watts the motor is rated.
Edited by Ozo on 08/18/2018 2:09 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
The latest Breville grinder the Smart Grinder Pro has a more powerful motor @165 watts than the Dose Control Pro. The Baratza Sette 270 has a 270 watt motor so I am thinking Breville was using a cheaper motor in the Dos Control Pro to maximize profit.. Rocky has a 166 watt motor.

EDIT The bottom plate says it is 130 watts.
Edited by Ozo on 08/23/2018 9:46 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
I am giving the Breville another try. It works just fine for most beans and I am now rethinking the problem with "hard beans". It does not make sense that the Yemen beans roasted to Full City + should be hard. It would be the opposite I will give those beans another try at a coarser setting.
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
The Breville is acting up. I get it dialed in and then it will inexplicably start grinding too fine. I rotate the setting ring a few times and reset it and then it works ok for a while but then it grinds too fine again. There is no apparent change in the setting but the results are changed. EDIT: I see it is plugged up so cleared it and it is ok for now but I am frustrated with it now. I am really getting to know this grinder however; when the motor sounds like it is struggling, it is. It struggled to a stop finally but then I cleared it. I can visualize that now and will be listening to my grinder more closely in the future.

Thats it, this grinder is going to the spare parts bin. I just ordered a Baratza Sette 270.woohoo
Edited by Ozo on 09/12/2018 4:07 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ristretto
I had a great 1 year run with my breville grinder untill the #$^%&@ plastic gear broke. From the start, every time I used it, it sounded like it was about to implode. I blew it clean with a compressor after every 5 uses too. Grind settings for espresso started around 3 - 5, later 13.

Then I ran some decaf beans and it shattered.

Breville wants $90 to fix it and a 6 mo. warranty. No consumer parts avail!

I RAN AWAY FROM MY BREVILLE!

Ult1mat3X
A nice option for coffee making.
But personally, I'd prefer the automatic espresso machine (I'm pretty happy with Gaggia Brera) which you load with the beans and proceed to make a cup of coffee. The main downside I wish to underline is a small cup space

Jump to Forum: