Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How do I get started with connecting my laptop to my roaster and profile roasting? And what is the c
CoffeeAndKimuras
Can someone explain exactly how I get into profile roasting, how exactly I go about connecting my laptop to my roaster, and what I'll need to get into it.

Right now I just us a meat thermometer in my roaster to get temps. I see lots of posts of roast profiles with apps like artisan and other and I would like to get into that side of things.

I am not savvy with this stuff at all so if someone could explain how all of this works and what components are needed and what they do I would greatly appreciate it.

If you could even link exactly what is needed that would be awesome. If you could also suggest the most budget friendly way to get into this I would also appreciate that.

Thank you very much for taking your time to read this and help out!

renatoa
For temperatures logging, the simplest solution and cheapest is to get a Mastech USB dual thermometer, no soldering, no hacking, just plug into USB, configure Artisan, push a button, and start acquiring data.
For control, you have to tell us more about your roaster.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

CoffeeAndKimuras
Thanks for your response. I have a home made corretto roaster.

So if I were to buy that usb thermometer, I just plug a probe into the meter and put it in the roaster somewhere and then plug the meter into my laptop via usb and use artisan to log the temps?

BenKeith
First off, understand this is not a simple plug and play process. There is a learning curve involved and there will be some frustration before you are good to go with it.

You need something you can load into the computer that will interface with a thermocouple. Normally, that's Artisan or RoastLogger the two most common with Artisan seeming to be the most popular on here.
Then you need a device to read the temperatures that will interface with the program you decide to use. So, check the chosen program for the different devices they will support. These will all work through the USB port once everything is setup
Except for a couple of the newer programs recently showing up, you may also need to load Arduino IDE before you load the program on the computer. Make sure you understand and follow the guide lines on how to load both.
I know nothing about using Artisan so this is about as far as I go on the how to.

renatoa

CoffeeAndKimuras wrote:

Thanks for your response. I have a home made corretto roaster.

So if I were to buy that usb thermometer, I just plug a probe into the meter and put it in the roaster somewhere and then plug the meter into my laptop via usb and use artisan to log the temps?

Not "somewhere"... this is one of the frustrating parts Ben wrote above, when you see temperatures you can't explain.
Basically the thermometer probe must be placed in a place where it capture as much bean temperature with least possible air flow.
Else you will have very random readings, as the hot air blows the probe instead touching the beans.

The device I recommended you is good for beginners exactly for avoiding the Arduino path.
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

TallPaul
Hi Renatoa - I have been interested in the same thing as I've been logging temperatures manually for several months. I looked up the Mastech dual USB meter and saw a $78 dollar version. And... a $600+ version. Just wondered if you had personal knowledge that the cheaper one would work? Questions on Amazon for the expensive one indicate it supports real time USB data transfer. The less expensive one - it isn't clear from what I can read. Both say they are model MS6514, but the pricey one carries the term "tester" as opposed to "logger"

renatoa
My China buy $48 unit is enough real time for my needs, with two readings per second.
I am not aware about multiple versions, nor clones, Mastech is a Chinese company, btw.
My guess about the $600 price... could be a wholesale 10-12 units lot.
If you decide to go the silky way, i.e. buy from China smile, get this special offer combo:
https://www.aliex...49355.html
...the two supplementary stainless steel probes, worths $20-30, comes practically for free, aren't part of the standard box.

Jump to Forum: