Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Info on DC motor power of poppers
tnakir
Any of you guys know what is the power rating of the DC motor of Severin Popper (220V)?

I am about to separate the motor from the heating coil circuit and I don't know what AC > DC converter to get. I have some 24V 0.8A PSU, and I'm not sure it will be powerfull enough.

renatoa
Is not enough, you need a 2A source.
These are usually clones of Johnson/Mabuchi RS385 motors, whose specs state 0.4-0.5A current, but without specifying which regime.
Looking into the datasheet we see this current is for maximum efficiency case, which is a very small load regime, compared with the popper scenario.
Tried 1A source to power such motor, from a Zilan popper, and voltage dropped to 19V from 24, so I guess some kind of over-current protection kicked.

starbuxed

renatoa wrote:

Is not enough, you need a 2A source.

So would a 24V 2A Power supply work? or is a 24V 5A power supply a better choice?

greencardigan
I used to use a laptop power supply that had a voltage switch for various voltages between 15 and 24 volts.

ChicagoJohn
On a 120VAC popper mod I did, I used a 24VAC transformer with input from a rotary dimmer switch output through a full wave bridge rectifier, unfiltered. (I wound up operating it at full power so the dimmer switch wasn't necessary, controlling heating with PWM). That transformer got way too hot and I wound up using a 50VA transformer which got hot but remained within acceptable maximum temperature limits. I have no familiarity at all with 240VAC systems, but if the popper designs are otherwise similar, I would think 2A continuous is probably marginally adequate with the caveat that I've seen some instances in which manufacturers state current ratings for transformers that a are significantly higher than they can deliver continuously..
So many beans; so little time....

renatoa
If you have doubts about a transformer, weigh it, a real 50W transformer for industrial use, i.e. continuous operation at maximum 75 C degrees, should be in the 900 g ballpark.

Wiz Kalita
I'm using this popper. It's a 20V motor that draws 2A, and I'm driving it with a 20V 3.25A laptop PSU.

tnakir
Did you leave both heat coils connected in series? Just disconnected the motor?

Wiz Kalita
I removed all the electronics and connected it to a CR3 setup. I don't remember if I left both coils or how I wired them.

tag1260
What happens if you just disconnect the motor from the coils? Do you still run both coils or does it create a problem?

renatoa
No problems.
In the parallel configuration heater power is reduced by about 200W on 230V or 100W on 110V.

tag1260
Thanks. I just yesterday split my motor and heater and was wondering if it were a problem. Tried my first batch today and it worked great but I will have to practice my control.

Thanks again

Jump to Forum: