Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Dishwasher cup off-taste from Surfactants
allenb
Some of you may be aware but in case some are not, I'm going to mention an issue with cups cleaned in dishwashers that can create off-tastes in the cup.

There's an additive used in some dishwasher detergents that reduces surface tension of the water to reduce or eliminate spots from forming on dishware. Many of these chemicals have pretty serious health risks but also leave a film on your cup. Several times, I've poured a cup and noticed a nasty chemical off-taste and couldn't figure out what was causing it. I finally narrowed it down to the film on the cup from the surfactant. Since then, I always rinse my cup if it's washed in the dishwasher and haven't experienced the problem since.

Wanted to mention this to help those who may be blaming their choice of green or their coffee filter of choice for off-tastes when it may be the film on your cup.

https://www.treeh...e-aid.html

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
To further that Allen I have a Bosch which uses passive drying and to aid that drying the final rinse adds Jetdry (or similar) surfactant in addition to whatever may be in the detergent which may increase the offtaste.

I personally do not notice it on porcelain / ceramic but when I dishwash my stainless water bottles it must get into the grain of the metal because it is extremely noticeable. Just food for thought especially for folks who may use stainless travel mugs.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Who washes their coffee cup. I've been drinking out of the same cup since 1985. Furthermore, if you keep hot Joe in it 24-7 there is no need to wash it.

I have instructed the wife to bury me with the thing.

ps: I have a Bosch also - best money I've ever spent.

snwcmpr
The dishwasher here uses the same name as I use. LOL!!

For cleaning coffee items I like the Full Circle line by Urnex.
I have the same bottle from many years ago, it requires so little. It removes the coffee residue by soaking after mixing with hot water. You can see the brown show in the water as soon as you start.
Easy Peasy.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

allenb

jkoll42 wrote:

To further that Allen I have a Bosch which uses passive drying and to aid that drying the final rinse adds Jetdry (or similar) surfactant in addition to whatever may be in the detergent which may increase the offtaste.

I personally do not notice it on porcelain / ceramic but when I dishwash my stainless water bottles it must get into the grain of the metal because it is extremely noticeable. Just food for thought especially for folks who may use stainless travel mugs.

We use Sams Ultimate Clean and does a great job cleaning dishes but has the surfactant included in the mix and has a definite off taste with ceramic cups if not re-rinsed. Not sure which variety of chemical is used for the surfactant.

I'm like 867 when it comes to stainless travel mug and it gets rinsed only so don't have experience with stainless getting rinse aided.

My aim in posting this was a day dream picture that came to mind of a newbie homeroaster who was thrilled to be pulling off a good looking roast of a nice, highly rated green coffee and then at the moment of truth, pouring a half cup for tasting, first sip hits the palate and fully deflated expectation when he/she gets hit with surfactant chemical taste and thinks the green or their new roaster is the culprit.

There's enough potential pit falls that can create a bad cup to wade through without complicating it even further by having the cup screw it up.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ChicagoJohn

There's enough potential pit falls that can create a bad cup to wade through without complicating it even further by having the cup screw it up.

Allen

The dishwasher is terrible that way and even formulations intended for hand dish washing typically contain fragrance chemicals which persist after the item dries and that have very low odor thresholds in the ppm range.
So many beans; so little time....

jkoll42
I know this is veering a little off the original topic but I used to commute to an office and had a stainless vacuum travel cup/thermos for the desk and brewed drip into the technivorm stainless carafe. I would periodically clean with with either Joe Glo or Cafiza. If I didn't season them with a batch of coffee afterwards I could instantly recognize the off taste from the raw stainless. Whenever I had a screwed up roast batch I would hold on to the beans to use for reseasoning.

I have no clue how common it is to be sensitive to the taste of stainless but throwing it out there.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb
I've also had issues with stainless off-tastes. Unfortunately, stainless quality varies all over the board with varying ratios of ferrous/non-ferrous content. As you say, some will need seasoning or will have a funky taste.

Allen

Jump to Forum: