Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rancilio Rocky - espresso grind issue resolved
ChicagoJohn
I recently resolved an issue with our Rocky grinder and thought I'd post it here in case it may be of help to someone else in the future.

We got a Rocky grinder with our Silvia in December, 2016. Since then, I've learned there are probably better grinder choices for espresso, but it seemed to meet our needs; my wife is the espresso drinker and she liked the result.

Recently I noticed the draw times for a double were running under 15 seconds and read about and tried the various remedies online. I tried a fresh roast. I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and inspected the burrs, re-calibrated, and cleaned the Silvia shower screen and gasket. I even got a bottomless portafilter with a triple basket so I could better see what was going on. I changed my technique for charging the basket to carefully conform to what others were recommending, and I still couldn't increase the draw beyond 15 seconds even a 1 setting -- just above where I would hear the burrs contacting.

Finally, grasping at a last straw, I decided to spend the $40 and try replacing the burrs. That did it. The 0 point on the calibration changed to +7. I'd had it set at +7 since we bought it, and now it is optimal at +14 giving a draw of 25 - 30 seconds for a triple (19 gm) charge.

Careful inspection and comparison of the old and new burrs didn't offer an explanation for why changing them made the difference, and later I thought that maybe just the act of removing and re-installing them was what did it. Over the two years of use, I ground a total of 170 lb, which you wouldn't think would be enough to dull the burrs. But I have the old set so I can test that hypothesis if and when I encounter another problem. But for now everything is working fine and my wife likes her espresso more than ever.

So if anyone else out there encounters this issue with a Rocky and exhausts all the other possible explanations, this is what worked for me.
So many beans; so little time....

Randy G
I had a Rocky for about seven years. In that time I replaced the burrs twice, and when I sold it to a friend the burrs were ready to be changed once again, at least for espresso use. So, yes, the grinder was ready for its fourth set of burrs in seven years.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

tjkoko

..........I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and inspected the burrs, re-calibrated, and cleaned the Silvia shower screen and gasket............

Finally, grasping at a last straw, I decided to spend the $40 and try replacing the burrs. That did it. The 0 point on the calibration changed to +7. I'd had it set at +7 since we bought it, and now it is optimal at +14 giving a draw of 25 - 30 seconds for a triple (19 gm) charge................

Where did you get the information on disassembly and recalibration of your RR???
Edited by tjkoko on 10/28/2018 4:18 AM

ChicagoJohn

Where did you get the information on disassembly and recalibration of your RR???

I just watched some videos on You Tube. By "disassembly", I just meant removing the hopper, taking out both burrs and thoroughly cleaning everything using brushes and a vacuum cleaner.

On my unit, there are two screws on the bottom of the hopper that you can loosen to change the position of the stop. the "0" position will be where you just begin to hear the burrs touching with the motor running. There are videos on how to check this position too.

After I installed the new burrs, the best I could seem to do was get the new zero position to set at +7 on the dial. So I used the sliding mechanism to set the stop there. Then I just changed the relative position by adding 7. So whereas I was grinding at a setting of 6 - 7, now I'm grinding at 13 - 14 and getting good results for a triple at 25 - 30 sec for 3 oz / ~ 90 gm

On the Silvia, I just removed the screen and made sure the gasket was thoroughly clean.

ChicagoJohn

Randy G wrote:

I had a Rocky for about seven years. In that time I replaced the burrs twice, and when I sold it to a friend the burrs were ready to be changed once again, at least for espresso use. So, yes, the grinder was ready for its fourth set of burrs in seven years.

Good to know! Now I'll know what to expect going forward. Thanks

tjkoko

.....I just watched some videos on You Tube. By "disassembly", I just meant removing the hopper, taking out both burrs and thoroughly cleaning everything using brushes and a vacuum cleaner.

THANK YOU! 8)))))) You Tube RULES!!!!! woohoo
Edited by tjkoko on 10/28/2018 7:28 PM

Jump to Forum: