Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Grindmaster Model 350 - no info (?)
CharcoalRoaster
I've been perusing eBay to find a used commercial grinder for our church. I'm brewing off a Bunn OL15 and was looking at the Bunn LPG2E low profile grinders. In my searching I came across this listing for a Grindmaster 350 that caught my eye. I really like the vintage aesthetic and just the idea of pulling knobs to dose lol.

Anyway, I can't find ANY info online or on the Grindmaster-Cecil website about this grinder. Anyone have experience with these? Burr quality seems to be substantial and this unit looks to be in great shape.

Thanks!

https://www.ebay....rk:25:pf:0

Randy G
Call Grindmaster you sure that the number is correct? Odd to find nothing (I looked as well). The 500 series grinders are around as well (I have one thad they are amazing!). Otherwise, check for a local restaurant supply store that carries used. Also look into coffee equipment repair business as they often have trade ins and such.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

CharcoalRoaster
So I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Unit was clean and fired right up. I ran some grindz tablets through then just a few grams of my homeroasted beans to clean the burrs/check out the grind quality.

(1) Tons of fines
(2) Irregular grind

Is this typical for these commercial machines that are just meant to pump through beans?

allenb
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

Is this typical for these commercial machines that are just meant to pump through beans?

Absolutely not. I've rebuilt and calibrated tons of grindmasters and they are capable of producing the least amount of fines when compared to almost all other makes/models of commercial and domestic grinders. If you haven't done so yet, pull the grinder adjuster/cap off and pull the burr out and give it a thorough cleaning. Once you've done this, if it still produces fines in excess of what you're used to, it's possible the burrs are shot and you'll need to spring for a replacement set. Be aware that the grindmaster burrs are a different animal and don't have a sharp tooth profile which can make it difficult to determine when they need to be replaced. Something to watch which can cause excessive fines in these is the chaff breaker mechanism. It's a sheet metal hinged gate that the coffee has to push out of the way in order to flow past and drop down into your container. If it can't freely push out of the way when coffee is grinding, it will impede grind outward flow and cause the coffee to over-grind itself by hanging around the grinding burrs too long. I made a habit of flipping the lid open a few times during a grind to ensure the coffee would flow freely. Also check to ensure the burr/worm assembly slides freely on the motor shaft so that adjustments in grind size are able to allow the burr to slide to the new position.

Let us know how things turn out.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

CharcoalRoaster
As usual a wealth of information Allen! Thanks - I'll take a look at the burr assembly this weekend and see what's going on.

Jump to Forum: