Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Poppery one internal question
Robert Mayrand
Just got my hand on a poppery 1. I opened it to do some mod with the switch, and dismantle everything to see how it was made and clean it up. I was quite surprise to find in the heating chamber like a plastic strip (about one inch high)wich sit around the element flat against the wall of the metal casing chamber. I suppose this is some sort of fireproof material, because in some place it seem to touch the ?l?ment, but i can't say what it's made of or what might be it's purpose. Should I remove it, anyone else notice this?

Rob

a1970gto
I don?t remember there being any plastic when I modified mine. It was a built like a tank. I?d suggest leaving it there. I doubt anyone has ever modified it before, so odds are it came from the factory. I?m guessing it?s actually mica paper, which is the same stuff they wrap heating elements in for hot air guns. It?s a good insulator. You do not want your heating element touching anything other than what it was designed to touch, good way to set your beans/house on fire.

CJ098
I have two poppery 1, I would suggest leaving it there. If you remove it the poppery would probably get shorted through the aluminum housing.

BenKeith
You have to remember, those heating elements are at line voltage. If they are allowed to touch the wall of the heat chamber, we might be reading about you in the obituary section.

scotthal
It's a strip of mica paper - serves as electrical insulation twixt coil and chamber. Removing it would be a bad idea.
Food for thought; coffee for concentration

Robert Mayrand
Thanks for the help. I kept it in place, i toght that might be it?s use.

Rob

Jump to Forum: