Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Zen Roaster I
Mike
I'd love to watch you two do this project. If in the process I can be of any benefit......let me know. A little lathe work or something similar to further the project would be fun.

Mike

David

Alchemist wrote:

David wrote:
OK, that helps with the intimidation factor.

If I were to scale it own a bit in weight and still go for a .5 to 1.0 kilo capacity, how would I do it?

Would you help me with the step-by-step?

(Maybe we can turn this into the article that you didn't have time to do for the contest. OK?)

David

I would be happy to run through how I would design it. I have to toss in a couple, what?, caveats? What about this roaster do you like? If I was going to build this again, I would take it into a different direction. Do you like the tilted drum? The looks in general? With the open snouted design, on 15 amps electric, 1 kilo is tough with heat loose. I am not even sure I have tried a kilo in it. I doubt it. Do you want to stick to electric or is gas ok?

In general, since it was the Zen II that I didn't have as much time and documentation for, and had the generally better response, but for the writeup, how do you feel about a step by step of that one? Or maybe a hybrid of the two?

Sure, regardless, let's talk.

OK. How' this?
You coach me and I'll actually build the roaster and take pictures, etc.

I'll consider what I would like;
you tell me what is practical; and
we'll do it together. OK?

When we get it outlined a bit more, we can move it to a new thread.
Have we got the makings of a deal?

You get the nice, full-color Certificate of Appreciation suitable-for-framing;
we both get the pleasure of collaboration, and
homeroasters.org gets a nice article for its library.

BTW, can I keep the roaster?? ;)

Alchemist

David wrote:
OK. How' this?
You coach me and I'll actually build the roaster and take pictures, etc.

I'll consider what I would like;
you tell me what is practical; and
we'll do it together. OK?

When we get it outlined a bit more, we can move it to a new thread.
Have we got the makings of a deal?

You get the nice, full-color Certificate of Appreciation suitable-for-framing;
we both get the pleasure of collaboration, and
homeroasters.org gets a nice article for its library.

BTW, can I keep the roaster?? ;)

You know, that is exactly what I was going to offer. I don't have time (or inclination) to actually build yet another, but I LOVE the design process. So, yes, we have a deal (although I will amend that in addition to a photo, I just have to have some coffee from it also - quality control sampling you know c:3

So, yes, we can move over to a new thread and we can design and build as I would. In general, I am very linear thinking. I don't make a single cut until I can "see" the roaster on paper. You can see some of the actual files and notes for this one. I actually had filled about 1/2 of a yellow legal pad with notes, drawings, schematics, concepts, parts, etc before I ever made a cut. The best path to a dead end I found was to assume I could find a part that did not exist.

Start thinking. The first questions to be asked and answered are what tools do you have/want to use and the basics of what the basic roaster parameters should be. Those are our foundation for everything that will follow. I will ask the specific questions in the new thread.

Roasting building, design and fabrication from scratch (the Alchemist way).

ginny
any testers?

ginny

ginny
we will try twice.

ginny

s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8

B)B)B)B)GrinGrinGrin

never :(:(

David
Please put this back where you got it !! :@

Ok to copy, but not to move it out of the contest area.

It has disappeared and already John has PM'ed me wondering where it went.

Sheesh!!

ginny
Not an issue. I setup the access right here for you and John. I was simply trying something.
Got tired and decided to wait until today; also to see what, if any comments were made.

thanks for the comments.

ginny

s:8s:8s:8s:8
Edited by ginny on 08/21/2007 4:34 PM

Alchemist
So, are we good to go or is this thread still open to all?

Looking forward to this. It should be fun and a great learning experience all around (myself included).

ginny
John:

This thread will always be open to members as part of the Roaster Contest. I only moved it yesterday to see if I could make something work for you guys and your project.

The only way to have you work on your project is to setup a forum for it and that has been done.
David has actually posted there already. Click under Discussion Forum and you will see the David and John Project.

That is where you and David will be located for your project.

ginny

Alchemist
You know, I hate when I have a brain fade. I knew that. :(

Although I see it is locked and I can not currently post to it. I assume that bug has to be worked out still.
Edited by Alchemist on 08/21/2007 4:57 PM

ginny
actually john you should be able to post to that, click on it and post...

but the reason it got locked was so that you and David would remember to start a NEW POST
to begin your project with...

no big deal you can start it where ever you want.

ginny

Alchemist
Actually, either I am being incredibly dense or I can't start a new post or topic. None of those options are available to me. I recall seeing moderator abilities last night, but nothing at all now. Would you like to take this to PM so as not to clutter up more than necessary?

Jump to Forum: