Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gas 2kg Upgrade recommendation needed
kattatak
I've been consumed in the research of what to upgrade to from a FreshRoast SR500 to a real gas roaster with ample production (back to back), profiling software, 2k production. I haven't found quite the right answer for my situation as everyone has such unique needs & wants.

I live on solar power, so I after lots of failed batches with the popper & Fresh Roast SR500 I've surmised that electric roasters are not going to work where I live. Friends & Family are enjoying my roasts now that I've got the FR doing what it's supposed to, but it's definitely not sustaining the demand.

I need to find a gas roaster that will be a good tool to learn from and take me into small production. Suggestions from people so far have been the Huky and the Cormorant. I'm not a tinkerer so the Huky doesn't appeal to me if I have to assemble it. The Cormorant will take a few months which is too long to wait.

Ultimately I will need to upgrade to a 10-15llb, but jumping from a FR SR500 to even a 5lb from what I've read would be very daunting. My budget is somewhat open, but spending $2-$3k (Huky) and then again $10k+ doesn't make sense, so there is where I'm trying to decide at my level, what to zero in on.

Can a beginner jump into a TJ 067? Has anyone had the experience going from a small home roaster to a commercial 1-2k? They sound awesome + A1 customer service but come with a hefty pricetag for the beginner.

My ultimate end goal (in time) is to produce enough for business, farmers markets, stores & online. I'm experienced in business enough to know what it takes. What I'm lacking right now is a real roaster.

I appreciate your feedback & recommendations.

JitterzZ
This might be an acceptable upgrade for you to tackle ( KKTO-electric )https://forum.hom...rowstart=0
( Honey Badger 1k-Gas ) https://forum.hom...ad_id=2521
Edited by JitterzZ on 01/19/2019 6:36 PM

kattatak
Thanks, I'll check it out, I've not looked into that one yet.

JitterzZ
rockon

kattatak
cross fingers

Ringo
I was roasting on a small roaster when I built my 5 pound roaster. It took me a few roast to get the roast control process. I bought some floor sweeps from a local roaster to condition the drum and pratice. After that I was drinking what I roasted. That was 9 years ago and hundred of roast ago and I continue to change how I roast but I enjoyed learning. I never sell any coffee I just give it to family and friends so they do not complain if it?s a bad roast.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

JitterzZ

Ringo wrote:

I was roasting on a small roaster when I built my 5 pound roaster. It took me a few roast to get the roast control process. I bought some floor sweeps from a local roaster to condition the drum and pratice. After that I was drinking what I roasted. That was 9 years ago and hundred of roast ago and I continue to change how I roast but I enjoyed learning. I never sell any coffee I just give it to family and friends so they do not complain if it?s a bad roast.

Thank you for the roasting wisdom. Cheerscoffee drink

nomadjeff

JitterzZ wrote:

Ringo wrote:

Thank you for the roasting wisdom. Cheerscoffee drink

These are some good tips you've shared smile thanks

Jump to Forum: