Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Drum Roaster on top of BBQ
kwrcst
So I think I'm going to build a drum roaster that sits over my old gas grill and utilize 2 of the burners. when it was a grill, I would get temps up to 700-ish degrees so I don't worry about having enough heat but my 2 hang ups are in the design of the bottom and airflow. My burners run front to back. I will mount the drum in the same orientation so the drum will sit over these burners. I will probably make a heat shield/deflector in order to funnel the heat to the drum and not out the side and around the roaster.

Bottom design: should I leave the outer shell open on bottom to allow the burners to feed directly into the drum or should I have a deflector plate of some sort to evenly disperse this heat?

Airflow: I have no idea about this one. Do I need to install a fan or 2 to blow into the bottom of the chamber to circulate the air? do I need an exhaust fan up top to draw air and chaff out? I have seen designs that have a trap in the exhaust that captures the chaff as it exits the drum.

any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope to start CAD'ing this soon

coffeeroastersclub
Don't worry about air flow. The important thing is to design a 60rpm motor system for the drum rotation. The spinning drum will provide all the airflow you need being that the BBQ grill itself is porous regarding entry and exit of air. I would keep the burner shields on, lessens any potential hot spots.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

coffeeroastersclub
Also I wouldn't bother orienting the drum in same direction of burners. Just use the lengthwise setup that is already inherent with your grill and current rotisserie rod setup. A tried and true setup that has worked extremely well for thousands of people over the years.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

kwrcst
I do like that idea of positioning. but I was worried that I would lose too much heat that way. I am removing the lid of the grill in order to accommodate the roaster on top. I can remove one of the side trays and build my cooling tray there as well.It's a 3 burner system but I may remove one burner and box it in to direct the heat.

Thanks for the help. should I build in a trap for the Chaff?

coffeeroastersclub
OH. I thought you were just building a bbq drum for a bbq grill. My mistake! I see what you want to do now. Please disregard the info I sent you. Sorry about that!

Jump to Forum: