Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
fluid bed design questions
johntruax
Attached is what I have so far. A Bake-A-Round some black iron fittings a stainless steel mesh and a 1600 w heat gun element. I want to use a shop vac to float the beans for roasting but when I slide the heat gun element into the one inch tube (almost perfect fit) and test the air flow there doesn't seem to be nearly enough to move anything. Am I using the wrong element or wrong size pipe? Can you point me at the right thread to read up on this design? I have to believe someone has already done this. Thank

John

CharcoalRoaster
Nothing attached John. Was it an image or a link to an image?

johntruax
I can't seem to get the picture attached. I guess that would be my first question. Help???

JackH
Are you using the built in file attachment for the site or a file hosting site like imgur?

10MB maximum size. Make sure there are no spaces and avoid using special characters.

Allowed filetypes: .gif .jpg .png

Usually it is the filename, try renaming it to something simple.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

johntruax
I'm trying to post a picture. It's 186 KB and on my hard drive. The path described in the file post area below is C:\fakepath\jRoaster.jpg

I'm going to post this reply and see if it goes through.

John
johntruax attached the following image:
jroaster.jpg

johntruax
Hey... it worked. As you can see, I'm just getting started. I've been using modified Poppery 2's for the last 10 years or so but I would like something more reliable and that can roast more than a 1/2 to 2/3 a cup of greens per batch.

As I said before, the heat gun element fits very snugly into the 1 inch pipe but does't seem to let enough air flow through.

Can someone suggest a thread for a similar design?

John

CharcoalRoaster
Why not just eliminate the reducer and use the same size pipe as your elbow? then you should have better airflow around the element...

JitterzZ

johntruax wrote:

Hey... it worked. As you can see, I'm just getting started. I've been using modified Poppery 2's for the last 10 years or so but I would like something more reliable and that can roast more than a 1/2 to 2/3 a cup of greens per batch.

As I said before, the heat gun element fits very snugly into the 1 inch pipe but does't seem to let enough air flow through.

Can someone suggest a thread for a similar design?

John

"I used a sink drain kit and a 7'' drain elbow" https://forum.hom...post_65761
https://forum.hom...post_40354
Also, the style of element that you're using may not be appropriate. I think that this type may allow for better airflow: https://www.amazo...amp;sr=8-1
JitterzZ attached the following image:
heating_element.png

Edited by JitterzZ on 03/23/2019 11:55 AM

johntruax
The element you show would obviously let more air flow. Thanks.

John

johntruax

CharcoalRoaster wrote:

Why not just eliminate the reducer and use the same size pipe as your elbow? then you should have better airflow around the element...

easy enough to try. I'll pick some new pipe up next time I'm out. Thanks

John

JackH

johntruax wrote:

I'm trying to post a picture. It's 186 KB and on my hard drive. The path described in the file post area below is C:\fakepath\jRoaster.jpg

I'm going to post this reply and see if it goes through.

John

Don't worry about the \Fakepath. It is just something the system uses. It looks like you are able to post photos.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

RobS
Has anyone tried using candle chimneys you can get them in alot of sizes and they are a cheaper solution to the bake around?

thanks

JitterzZ

RobS wrote:

Has anyone tried using candle chimneys you can get them in alot of sizes and they are a cheaper solution to the bake around?

thanks

I haven't seen anyone use it as a roast chamber, but plenty of people have used them as chimneys on their popper builds. I'm currently trying to use one as a replacement for my broken SR500 RC.
JitterzZ attached the following images:
sr500_rc.png sr500_rc2.png

Edited by JitterzZ on 03/24/2019 11:48 AM

JitterzZ
My current SR500 RC is made from the larger inner stainless steel chamber of a broken HyperChiller that I had in the junk pile (HyperChiller--https://www.amazo...&psc=1). I've broken Two SR500 chambers so far. Brand new ones are not a problem for me to acquire, but why buy what I can build for free?Grin
sr500_stainless1_1.png sr500_stainless2_1.png sr500_stainless3_1.png sr500_stainless4.png

Edited by JitterzZ on 03/24/2019 3:27 PM

JitterzZ
Ordered and received Two candle chimneys. See this post for description and link: https://forum.hom...post_68395.
As can be seen in the attached pictures, the candle chimneys are a perfect fit for a broken SR500 RC (perfect for my purposes), and also much thicker than the OEM RC. I ordered the 10" tall candle chimneys because I currently roast 140 grams of coffee in my SR500, which I intend to up to 200 grams as soon as I can make a mod for the RC which will turn it into a spouting bed. See AlanAdler's post here: http://coffeegeek...010#594010. My mod will use stainless steel instead of Teflon and be more of a funnel. Still figuring it out. I will also make a proper handle for the new RC that will cover the length of the RC with an SS band at the top. I will also build a much lighter Chaff collector to prevent tipping of the RC in the event of a bump, etc.
sr500rc4.png sr500rc3.png sr500rc2_1.png sr500rc1.png

Edited by JitterzZ on 03/27/2019 7:05 PM

RobS
Wow those came quick glad they worked out

JitterzZ
Yep. Excited to get my spouting mod done so I can give her a test drivecross fingers
Thanks a bunch for the tip
ThumbsUp

RobS
So when they are advertised as 3 or 4 inch is that inside or outside diameter just need to know I need to find a stainless funnel for my roaster and I have not received my chimney yet

thanks

JitterzZ

RobS wrote:

So when they are advertised as 3 or 4 inch is that inside or outside diameter just need to know I need to find a stainless funnel for my roaster and I have not received my chimney yet

thanks

Mine was 3" OD (outside diameter) which I believe is the common meaning when advertising width of the glass rounds, unless otherwise specified-- for example: 3" ID (inner diameter). But just so you understand, having read the reviews of the candle chimneys that I purchased, there were complaints of inconsistencies in the sizes. I must have just gotten lucky.woohoo
Edited by JitterzZ on 03/28/2019 10:57 PM

Jump to Forum: