Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Even roasting with a popper
snwcmpr
Too many beans are usually the cause, in my experience. Only add enough beans that they are 'just slightly' moving at the start. That will ensure enough movement during the roast.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

snwcmpr

OhhEnnEmm wrote:

I have a standard popcorn maker stored away in the loft. I never thought to use it for roasting coffee, since I've never actually roasted coffee...

You think it might be worth me buying green beans and giving it a go? Or should I just buy pre-roasted and grind it myself?

If an expert roaster has pre-roasted the beans, surely that's still better than me with my popcorn maker? Idk I'm just tryna figure the best way for me to get into all this properly.

It depends on the popper model. Some cannot roast, and others rost very well.
What model is your popper?
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

marcov
Just reporting that I slightly improved evenness by modifying the roasting chamber.

What I did is flatting out the vents to "close" the chamber as if it was a closed glass of aluminium, and then drilled ~7mm holes on the sideo, spaced ~7mm apart and as low as possible, but keeping the flat bottom intact.

I have observed an higher air flow (probably the original vents are too small) and now beans jumps instead of rotate Grin

renatoa
A video worth... more than words Grin

Jump to Forum: