Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Another getting started thread - propane - 1.5 Lbs
chmod755
I'm new to this forum. I discovered it on Google searching for information about coffee roasters! I built a stir crazy/turbo oven roaster that I've been using for years but I feel I'm not getting the most flavor out of my beans with this roaster.

I'm looking to upgrade.

I want to build a fluid bed roaster for roasting 1/2 up to 1 1/2 pounds depending on my needs and since I live in an older house in Canada, I don't have higher current load outlets so I'm going to use propane as a heat source.

I figure I'll need about 15,000 to 20,000 BTU/h due to the amount of coffee and cold ambient temps in the dead of winter when temps can drop to about -20C (-4F).

Where can I find a burner that will provide this kind of output? Do I just buy an orifice and fabricate my own? (trial and error) or is there something ready-made?

For airflow, I estimate I'll need 20CFM. I've read people using vacuum blowers?

For the roasting chamber, I'm considering a 4" diameter x 14" height pyrex glass tube.

Not sure about chaff collection yet. I figure I'll blow it out of the top of the tube during the cooling phase.

Am I on the right track?
Edited by chmod755 on 04/02/2019 7:12 AM

renatoa
Chaff appears long time before end of roast, and... if not blown out immediately as it leave the bean surface, it can burn and have smoky flavours, or worse, at even have a fire... not probably under 1 kg though, not enough chaff.

Did you have a good chaff exhaust solution for the turbo oven ?

chmod755
The turbo oven sits on top of an aluminum ring with an exit port. The chaff just blows out onto the ground (I roast outside).

chmod755
Anyone with a comment or answer to my questions?

Where can I find a burner that will provide this kind of output? Do I just buy an orifice and fabricate my own? (trial and error) or is there something ready-made?

For the roasting chamber, I'm considering a 4" diameter x 14" height pyrex glass tube.

JitterzZ

chmod755 wrote:

Anyone with a comment or answer to my questions?

Not sure but these threads may be helpful:
https://forum.hom...rowstart=0
Edited by JitterzZ on 04/02/2019 11:20 AM

chmod755
Read through those already.. Roaster Rob's are for larger amounts, which is why he's using a Sievert (7.7kW) nozzle and he doesn't explain how he uses the nozzle.

The last link is an electric roaster.
Edited by chmod755 on 04/02/2019 12:00 PM

chmod755
Hmm.. Forum seems kinda dead. Most of the activity is from years ago.

I guess I'm on my own!

JSA Coffee
You aren't on your own. You want to build a fluidbed roaster. And you want to be able to roast outside in winter. I'm in Wisconsin, so I have an idea of the challenge you are facing.

For the size you are looking for, I would suggest a compromise. On these forums, search for OGH and his Bake A Round build. Using the Bake A Round, a martini mixer, some cheap plumbing, and a vacuum motor(I used a spa blower for ease), a heat gun element, and a a few other small parts, you can have a nice fluidbed roaster that will do batches just under a pound back to back all day.

Roaster Rob is using a Sievert 2942 torch head. Electric is easier because you can control it better, don't have to worry about carbon monoxide, and will roast in the winter. On mine, I used two heat gun elements stacked vertically. For power, I have my motor, and the lower element together on a 20 amp 110 outlet. For the other element, it gets plugged into a different 20 am circuit. Works fine until about 10 below.

renatoa
Is a garage/barn/cabin so untouchable in those areas ... ?
Fitted with an alu tube exhaust for smoke/gases.

Ok, time to invent the PrivyRoaster Grin beware, trademark patent pending Grin

Jump to Forum: