Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4ESP
Will2
I apologize for not communicating with you often enough.
I have many other responsibilities.
In April 2021, I did several experiments with TC4ESP.
Not everything worked for me, I don't remember exactly.

up.picr.de/42383303pu.jpg
Viliam

Will2
I should add information to the previous post.

I haven't tried since April.
At that time, if I remember correctly, ESP did not communicate with the Artisan roaster scope application. Although through the same computer through the serial monitor the response was correct.
Today I tried connecting from another laptop, it works.

I am also aware that I cannot use potentiometers, ie analog control. For me, button operation is not very intuitive.
If I need to decide quickly, I never know which button and how long to press. Maybe the reason is that I have my habits of using TC4 and fluidbed roaster.
Then I still miss that I can't use phase angle control for the fan. As you know, I use a fluid motor for a vacuum cleaner. Never mind, I'll use "PWM 2A AC Light Dimmer LED 50Hz 60Hz" instead.

What I really like about TC4ESP and I consider it a great advantage is the ability to move the points for cold end measurements closer to the k-type terminals.

On the contrary, I do not need Wifi or Bluetooth from ESP.

So I would combine the benefits of TC4ESP and old TC4 by using newer boards, maybe different Arduino, with higher memory and the possibility of analog inputs.

So that I keep Brad's aArtisanQ_PID as much as possible and it would be enough to upload only one sketch to Arduino, then switch my buttons to 3 modes: stand alone, artisan, android.
I haven't roasted coffee with TC4ESP yet, if I have enough time, I'll either continue to try roasting TC4ESP + fluidbed roaster.
Viliam

renatoa
You can use analog pots, if connecting them to CH3/CH4 of ADC, supposedly unused for temperatures, and activate this alternate use of CH3/4 with ANLG1ADC3 / ANLG2ADC4 defines.
The pots used for this purpose should be trimmed to output 0-2V for the whole rotating range, corresponding to 0-100 values of HTR/FAN.
Combined usage of buttons/pot is possible, for example buttons for heater with a pot for the fan, or viceversa. Just activate the ch3 or ch4 only.
Edited by renatoa on 11/06/2021 4:48 PM

renatoa
A notice for the both setups shown these days: you are stressing too much the usb plug on the ESP boards, imo.
You risk broke of the PCB and traces exfoliating.
Please ensure a support for the cable weight as close to the board as possible.

CamMor89
Does this work with ESP32?

renatoa
Not yet completely, some functions missing.

Will2
Today I tried connecting tc4ESp and ARTISAN from laptop.
The sliders and buttons work, I used the same settings as for tc4, it was necessary to change OT2 to IO3, according to the LCD 4x20 TC4ESP commands received correctly. But part of the code for fast PWM output on D4 (IO2) or D5 (IO14) seems to be missing, so the fan does not work, even though the display shows fan values in% (I use AC fan for FB). Slow PWM on D0 (IO16) works normally.
Furthermore, TC4ESp does not seem to send Arduino TC4 78 channels to ARTISAN channels, so TC4 SV reading is missing, Ambient value is displayed as 25, I don't know where.
Is it related to the various sketches that can be uploaded?
Viliam

renatoa

Will2 wrote:
part of the code for fast PWM output on D4 (IO2) or D5 (IO14) seems to be missing

It is there and working, already used it for a popper, code here:
https://github.co...6.cpp#L312

Will2 wrote:

Furthermore, TC4ESp does not seem to send Arduino TC4 78 channels to ARTISAN channels, so TC4 SV reading is missing,
Ambient value is displayed as 25, I don't know where.
Is it related to the various sketches that can be uploaded?

The packet structure is from original TC4 code and not modified.
Check code here: https://github.co...D.ino#L476
Setpoint value seems added to the packet only when PID is working.
You can verify this is true visualizing packet format in Artisan serial log, and check values count. Should be as bellow:
AT, t1, t2, t3, t4, HTR, FAN, SV (or nothing for no PID active).

AT is hardcoded internally as 25C, because is not used in TC4ESP, cold junction compensation being done in hardware.

Which various sketches ? There is only one source in github.
Edited by renatoa on 11/12/2021 7:42 AM

Will2

It is there and working, already used it for a popper, code here:
https://github.co...6.cpp#L312

Thank you Renato,
these files haven't been published in april, I'll try.

Which various sketches ? There is only one source in github.

I thought AlternativeUI, how is it possible to run only that one?
Viliam

renatoa
Not published yet

Will2
I used new libraries, now:

- works fast pwm on D4 (IO2), AC fan connected to "PWM 2A AC Light Dimmer LED 50Hz 60Hz"
- slow pwm on D0 (IO16) does not work, so now we will look in the code on which the pin will be
- ambient value shows the value 0.0
Viliam

Will2

Will2 wrote:
- slow pwm on D0 (IO16) does not work, so now we will look in the code on which the pin will be

should be on D5!
Viliam

renatoa
You are right, the libraries are out of sync with main code.
For obscure reasons, too long to explain, the heater output pin have to be defined twice, in two places, here:
https://github.co...M16.h#L138
and here:
https://github.co...ser.h#L183

Please, make them point both to same pin, either D0 or D5, as you like, all the others are busy.
The initial version was on D0, but later I found that this pin is used in the flashing process, so if your heater-SSR circuit is plugged at the moment of flashing a sketch, you can have heater burning, without fan ! which is not desirable for fluid bed machines.
For this reason moved OT1/HTR to D5 and left D0 unused.

The complete actual pins usage is below:

/*
D0(IO16) - unused, no interrupt, no PWM or I2C support; HIGH at boot used to wake up from deep sleep
D1(IO5)  - I2C, SCL
D2(IO4)  - I2C, SDA
D3(IO0)  - unused, pulled up, connected to FLASH button, boot fails if pulled LOW
D4(IO2)  - OT2/IO3, pulled up, output only
D5(IO14) - OT1, heater control
D6(IO12) - ZCD Int
D7(IO13) - BT Rx
D8(IO15) - BT Tx
Rx(IO3) - USB Rx
Tx(IO1) - USB Tx
A0       - ADC input, for buttons pad
*/

Edited by renatoa on 11/12/2021 1:38 PM

Will2

renatoa wrote:

For obscure reasons, too long to explain, the heater output pin have to be defined twice, in two places, here:

OK it works.
Heats to D5 even if the output pin is not defined twice in 2 places. Now I need to understand how the buttons pad works.
It will be difficult for Fluidbed to use the preset roasting philosophy.

Specify once again (16.11.2021):
The heater works on D5, no matter how it is defined in user.h (it doesn't matter if D5, or D0, or 14, or 16)
ARTISAN automatic steering does not work.
Manual control from ARTISAN works.

There are 2 different libraries on the GitHub repository, but also 2 different files:

aArtisanESP 1_0_1 (bottons do not works, accepts commands, does not respond to READ command):
https://github.co...sanESP.ino

aArtisanESP 1_0 (bottons works - not well, receives commands, responds to READ command):
https://github.co...sanESP.zip

up.picr.de/42453043ui.jpg
Edited by Will2 on 11/16/2021 8:56 AM
Viliam

renatoa

The heater works on D5, no matter how it is defined in user.h (it doesn't matter if D5, or D0, or 14, or 16)

Yes, true for slow PWM only. For ICC (CONFIG_PAC2) is used the pin defined in user.h.
These are both TC4 legacy code, same behavior there too.

ARTISAN automatic steering does not work.

Please detail.
You means profile following using PID ? Yes, it works, with TC4 PID, not used Artisan PID.

Will check what is different in the archives above and come back.

It will be difficult for Fluidbed to use the preset roasting philosophy.

What you mean ? Using board embedded profiles ?
The attached graph is of a roast done today on a FB, following a board profile defined as below:

int16_t time[50] = {  0, 59, 91, 120, 150, 179, 209, 241, 272, 300, 329, 359, 387, 413, 445, 470, 484, 0 };
int16_t temp[50] = { 25, 70, 92, 110, 126, 140, 152, 163, 172, 179, 185, 190, 194, 197, 200, 202, 203, 0 };

You can define 9 such custom profiles in board memory, and playback them.
The master profile was been designed in Artisan designer, then exported as .csv, to use the data points, picking enough points to describe the profile.
renatoa attached the following image:
1611_fb_sim.png

Edited by renatoa on 11/16/2021 9:33 AM

Will2

renatoa wrote: Please detail.
You means profile following using PID ? Yes, it works, with TC4 PID, not used Artisan PID.

It doesn't work for me.
After the pid;on command, the htr;up command sequence runs inside TC4ESP every 20 seconds, in which case it does not respond to the pid; sv; xxx commands from ARTISAN. It looks like automatic PID tuning is triggered. I have not yet identified the reason for this behavior.

Or is there any other way to start ARTISAN mode?

up.picr.de/42442246ye.jpg

up.picr.de/42442273qg.jpg

renatoa wrote: What you mean ? Using board embedded profiles?.

No, I don't think so.
I am thinking, for example, of preheating and that, and in what way it is possible to cancel it. I can't imagine button-operated roasting because they don't work the way you describe them.
Edited by Will2 on 11/16/2021 12:34 PM
Viliam

renatoa
Who sends pid;on command ?
Its purpose is to resume an embedded (board) profile following, that was been suspended by a pid;off command.
You can't start a roast using pid;on command alone, because counter is not reset to zero. So random values pick from the profile arrays.
If no embedded profile is selected, pid;on command has no effect.
PID On/off buttons of Artisan and TC4 PID;on/off commands are different things.

Please, describe your usage scenario,

Will2
It already works, Renato.
I think the problem is already solved.
ARTISAN: some data on the Modbus ports configuration tab must not be filled in, even if there is another port.
Specify 17.11.2021: In the PID window the Slave cell must not be filled as the value 1

Therefore, channels 78 did not work. ie SV, ie PID;SV;xxx.

renatoa wrote:

You can't start a roast using pid;on command alone, because counter is not reset to zero.

This is not my case, i always have it set event serial command reset at the charge.
Edited by Will2 on 11/17/2021 1:11 AM
Viliam

renatoa
Using board PID and board embedded profile ?

I don't mean following a background profile on the Artisan screen, but a profile stored in TC4 board memory.

Will2

renatoa wrote:

Using board PID and board embedded profile ?

He hasn't tried this yet. At first I fixed what didn't work.
Now I will try to start roasting from a profile stored in TC4ESP.
In addition, I'm not sure if the buttons work properly. Or it's not entirely clear to me how the buttons should work.

In which part of memory is the profile stored?
For TC4, it was remembered on the TC4 board, not in Arduino.
For TC4ESP, will it be in a different part of the memory than the recorded sketch?
The profile will remain stored in eeprom even if a new sketch is uploaded?
Viliam

renatoa
The profiles are stored in the 4M EEPROM, on the ESP board.
4096 bytes of this memory is available to the user via programming language.
A profile is 400 bytes, thus maximum 9 to store in this memory.
They aren't lost when program changes, IF... your Tools/Erase Flash option from Arduino is set to "Sketch Only" (default).

A default profile, index 1, is created at memory initialization, you can find the definition of this profile here:
https://github.co...Data.h#L76

To create other profile, you change the following below:

int16_t number = 1;
char name[40] = "Default profile \0";
char description[80] = "Automatically created when no profiles\0";
int16_t temp[50] = { 25,  78, 107, 130, 150, 166, 179, 190, 199, 206, 212, 218,   0 }; // average profile, 5:4:3

- number, to any 1...9 value,
- name, to your desired profile name, only first 20 chars will be shown on LCD
- description, to your desired profile desc, only first 40 chars will be shown on LCD
- temp, the temperatures array that describe the profile. If you want more points, then you need to change also the time array accordingly.

... and finally... reflash the sketch with the new profile block definition.

You can extract a profile data from an Artisan .alog roast file by looking for timex and time2 value lists, en excerpt is shown below:

'timex': [0.0499, 2.00732, 4.00739, 6.00743, 8.00754, 10.00763, 12.00863, 14.00871, 16.00874, 18.00891, 20.00899, ...
 'temp2': [24.0, 24.9, 27.3, 30.7, 34.7, 38.5, 41.9, 44.8, 47.4, 49.7, 51.8, 53.8, 55.7, 57.4, 59.0, 60.4, 61.8, 63.0, 64.1, 65.1, ...

...extract them into an excel sheet, and decimate to the desired time precision, but maximum 50 values for the entire roast !
This equates to 4 values per minute, every 15 seconds, for a 12 minutes roast. 4*12=48 points, plus an ambient temperature zero time starting point, and a final trailing point with zero values for both time and temp, that mark end of profile.
For longer than 12 minutes roasts, you can try 3 points per minute, thus every 20 seconds, allowing 16 minute roasts, or 2 points per minute, thus every 30 seconds, allowing maximum 24 minute roasts.

If you want to overwrite an existing profile slot, just change the name, even only one char, for example add a space at the end, if you want to preserve the profile, and change the data only.
Edited by renatoa on 11/17/2021 2:49 AM

Will2
Before I can work with the profiles stored in eeprom on the tc4ESP board, it must first resolve the button issues.

renatoa wrote:
Will check what is different in the archives above and come back.

Will2 wrote:
In addition, I'm not sure if the buttons work properly. Or it's not entirely clear to me how the buttons should work.

How important is defining Brad buttons in user.h?
Did I buy the wrong button board? It is connected to 3.3V.

The "UNUSED" button now works as a "MODE " button (for example as a toggle for UP/DOWN buttons target).
The "ENTER" key sometimes works the same as the "UP" key.
Long press the "DOWN" button at the Fan target to turn off the HTR.
(ok, user.h: HTR_CUTOFF_FAN_VAL 20)
Short pressing the "DOWN" key does not decrease the values.
And the tact in all sorts of ways is impossible to describe.

Most likely I'm using the wrong combination of .ino file and libraries.

up.picr.de/42453452uu.jpg
Edited by Will2 on 11/17/2021 9:11 AM
Viliam

renatoa
If the buttons board looks like in the project doc, and board orientation is "portrait" as in photography, i.e. the four buttons cross up, and the "unused" button down, then it should behave ok. 3.3V is ok.
If owning a multimeter, you can check the board output voltages, according to:
https://github.co...n.cpp#L215

MODE/SETUP is same button, multiple roles/meanings. Could be also CANCEL in some scenarios.
Same for ENTER, it has also SELECT meaning.

Will2
Thank you Renato, I'm glad an explanation was found.

This means that the same boards with different resistance ladders are sold.

voltage values should be:
0 = UP, 0.45V = Enter, 1V = Settings, 1.6V = DOWN

my resistance ladder generates voltage values:
0 = UP, 0.10V = Enter, 0.28V = Settings, 0.53V = DOWN, 1.10v Unused, 3.0V Unpressed

up.picr.de/42459076cz.jpg

Surely the best way would be to have the resistance values of a ladder that works measured. Will it be possible?
Viliam

renatoa
Great find !
The values are (somewhat) public... because they are copied by chinese from the Adafruit LCD/buttons shield, whose schematic is attached.

The only difference you should be aware is that my code is for board above rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
So the buttons from the schematic and picture above have other meanings:
LEFT - is UP for me
UP - is ENTER/SELECT
DOWN - is MODE/SETUP
RIGHT - is DOWN

rightmost SW5 - SELECT in the schematic - is the unused button
renatoa attached the following image:
adafruit_lcd_buttons_shield.jpeg

Jump to Forum: