Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Burnt (Too many beans)
DendroScott
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for my very newbie questions.

I first started roasting three days ago with my $5 thrift store popper. It's a Nostalgia Electrics Model MHP310KIT 120V-60Htz 1040w, unmodified. I don't have a scale so I started roasting about a half cup and am experimenting with different amounts.

So far I've roasted 5 batches.. The first one I stopped at about 7 minutes and made it through the first crack, and I think I was in the second crack or just starting. The coffee turned out ok, we brewed it the following morning, about 12 hours after roasting). it tasted great, seemed to be about a City maybe city+ in my novice opinion. the second roast I went beyond the 2nd crack and stopped about 9 minutes. the beans look great and I'm letting them sit for at least 48 hours before enjoying. Today I roasted three batches. The first two turned out great. I slightly increased the beans for the second batch (2/3 cup). I think the 2/3 cup came out the best. I made it through the second crack and stopped just shy of the color I was looking for and it turned out great. the third batch I did today I started with just over 1/2 cup. when I poured them into the popper it looked like there were far fewer beans in there so I "eyeballed" a bit more so that the level looked about where it was when I started the previous batch. Long story short, this batch took forever, I'm not even sure if it ever fully completed the first crack even at 14 minutes. I stirred constantly as the beans weren't moving much at first. plus I think it helped to keep them stirring for the duration. They don't really smell burnt, but the color is not as dark as I like, but there were in there for 14 minutes. there are slightly dark spots on the beans but doesn't seem excessive.

I'm not even sure what my question is, but I am curious if the burnt batch will be safe to drink? what happens if they never fully made it through the first crack? Is that even possible for them to be roasting that long with out cracking. could they have cracked and I just didn't hear it? Thanks in advance for any insight. Hopefully someone can comprehend my rambling.

btreichel
Safe, yes. Desirable, probably not. Good taste experiment yes. BTW, the less roasted the bean, the more the grinder has to work.

snwcmpr
Welcome to the happy madness.

I used to use a popper. I would turn it on and add beans until they almost stopped spinning. Like just barely moving.
That way they were never going to stall.
Stop, dump, and cool immediately when you are ready.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: