Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How to brew coffee without screwing it up
allenb
I'm posting a nice article covering tips for optimal brewing of your coffee. It's good for all of us to revisit the basics and not so basics in brewing coffee as we can sometimes get into a rut with a particular brewing method or technique and not realize we may be terribly limiting our ability to fully experience the full potential in our roasts.

I can particularly relate to comments made near the end of the article where they describe the best coffee as being able to have clarity and transparency. In all the years I've sampled coffees in some of the best coffee establishments and roasting shops, I've found 2 or 3 that could consistently nail the perfect 3 dimensional, transparent coffee with razor sharp clarity while still maintaining sweetness. I've gotten close to that on a few occasions only but more typically I hit something between very good and good.

https://baristahu...-taste-it/
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

a1970gto
Good article! You call it basics, but I feel it?s where I?m at. So just stay at the basics, practice the fundamentals? When/where do you move on, or don?t move on?

allenb

a1970gto wrote:

Good article! You call it basics, but I feel it?s where I?m at. So just stay at the basics, practice the fundamentals? When/where do you move on, or don?t move on?

I think it's good for all of us to revisit the basics which to me is brewing coffee while paying attention to best practices and having a thorough understanding of what can cause bad results. In many instances, someone will mimic what they saw a coffee establishment do that produced very good results for them but has a hard time repeating the results at home and they just keep trying the same method with improper brewing temps or steep times and believe the problem is their roasting and not the method/procedure the shop was using. Unless someone goes back to the basics and is grounded in best practices, they have a hard time knowing what to try next to improve results.

As far as where to move on to? My suggestion to anyone who is bound by a certain routine and rarely strays from it, is to break out of their comfort zone and try different grind sizes, temperatures and steep times and note the outcomes plus explore what brewing devices they haven't tried yet and give them a shot.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

kevintran
I'm a newbie so your article is very useful for me.
I'm Kevin Tran, CEO of Bonjour Coffee.

mkane
and something else to obsess over.good post
Always learning

Jump to Forum: