Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Automated propane gas control?
chmod755
What's the best method for controlling propane gas for a fluid bed roaster these days? I've seen some options but they're all from older posts.

I'm looking for a way to control propane gas flow using an arduino.

My roaster roasts about 1-5 pounds. I typically roast 1 to 2 pounds.

I currently use a Clippard DVP proportional valve with EVPD driver. Fuel source is a 20# propane tank with 20psi regulator. Fuel goes to a self-built burner that has a 0.021" (#75 drill bit) orifice.

The EVPD driver is connected to a TC4+ and arduino. I'm able to control the valve with direct analog commands or with an attached potentiometer.

The problem I'm having is somehow there doesn't seem to be much variation in the flame size whether I have the valve open at 5% or 100%.. I'm guessing the DVP valve needs a minimum PSI to work properly??

Are there better options for controlling propane for my case?

CoffeeInterest
You could look into DC driven fireplace valves

allenb
What is the pressure leaving the valve at max and min output?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb

chmod755 wrote:

I currently use a Clippard DVP proportional valve with EVPD driver. Fuel source is a 20# propane tank with 20psi regulator. Fuel goes to a self-built burner that has a 0.021" (#75 drill bit) orifice.

The problem I'm having is somehow there doesn't seem to be much variation in the flame size whether I have the valve open at 5% or 100%.. I'm guessing the DVP valve needs a minimum PSI to work properly??

Valve Type: 2-Way, Proportional
Medium: Air & Compatible Gases (40 micron filter)
Pressure Range: Vac* to 100 psig
Max. Hysteresis: 10% of full current
Max. Flow Tolerance: ?10%, -0%
Power Consumption: 1.9 watts at 72?F, 2.5 watts max.
Temperature Range: 32 to 120?F
Voltage: 10 or 20 VDC
Mounting: Manifold, #10-32 Male Stud
Seal Material: FKM standard; Nitrile, EPDM & Silicone available
Wetted Materials: Stainless Steel, PPS
CE, RoHS Compliant

*Vacuum applications are reverse flow
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
One more thing that is critical for a valve to be able to control flow effectively is that you ordered the valve based on your desired propane pressure and that they are given your desired max flow rate so the valve can correctly throttle the flow.

Pressure & Flow
In selecting your valve, reference the DVP Flow Capabilities
Chart on front and list your Nominal Operating Pressure in a
3-digit format (065 = 65 psig). Next specify your desired Max.
Flow Rate for your pressure (500 = 50.0 L/min)
. Accurately
specify your Nominal Operating Pressure and Flow to assure
the best performance and resolution for your application.
For Nominal Operating Pressure under 5 psig, use a 005
designator for Pressure. For Vacuum applications use the
positive pressure equivalent and reverse the ports.

Jump to Forum: