Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fresh Roast SR540 Woody Taste
jessc523
Hello All!

I have a Fresh Roast SR 540 and it seems like every time I roast, I get a woody taste. I don't know if it is just me or what but I did get some new beans from a different source so I am hoping it gets better. Does anyone have any other recommendations as to why this happens and how I can stop it from tasting like that? Recently I have been starting with fan and heat high (9) and slowly decrease the fan over time. I don't know if I should preheat more and then drop the beans or slow down the roast overall? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

allenb
Hi Jess. From my experience, only two things will cause woody/earthy/musty taints. One is if you happen to roast a coffee that typically includes those notes by it's nature as with several indonesian coffees, especially certain Sumatrans. Or, if one is roasting at a rate where the interior of the bean is lagging too far behind the exterior which will cause moderate to extreme "woody" notes depending on the degree to which the interior is underdeveloped.

A good percentage of the coffees I like will have the taint to varying degrees if total roast time is less than 9 minutes. While I've had some stellar costas and kenyans roasted around 8 minutes, this has been a rare occurrence.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

TeddyJ
Is it possible that what you describe as woody is really more from the smoke? By reducing the fan toward the end of the roast the beans might be picking up some smoke flavor. Just a thought.
TedJ

Jump to Forum: