Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Windows 10 USB Device Problem: Solved.
Tavake12
Problem: Artisan Software installed property, connected to Hottop roaster, has both logged and controlled the roaster, and then, when starting a new day's roasting, i get an error from Microsoft when I try to plug in the roaster via USB:

"USB device not recognized
The last USB device you connected to
this computer malfunctioned, and
Windows does not recognize it."

Lenovo Yoga 930 with Windows 10 factory installed, Artisan 2.1.1.

The root cause was that notebook power supply was not connected. The power management setting for the USB root hub was set to allow the computer to turn off the USB root hub to save power!

What is really funky is that a USB stick plugged in immediately after unplugging the Hottop WAS recognized!

Solutions: 1: plug in the power on the notebook, or 2: go to device management, USB root hub, properties, power management, and un-check the top box (you must do this as administrator).

This situation developed because the Artisan documentation states that sometimes the curves are tweaked if a laptop is plugged in, so recommends not plugging them in.

OK, that advice was probably true 4+ years ago, but my new Hottop came with a USB cable that has emf protection, and I'm pretty sure the modern Lenovo notebook charger does not generate this type of issue.

It is, however, more convenient to use the notebook without having to plug in the charger, so disabling this setting is very helpful.

Cheers!

JackH
Thanks for reporting this, it will be useful for others who are having trouble.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: