Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Franken-popper -- free to good home
JimG
Several years back I built a PID controlled Poppery I.

I installed a type K thermocouple to sense the temperature of the hot air entering the roast chamber, and separated the blower and heater circuits. I re-purposed a metal control box and installed a Delta DTB PID controller and solid state relay in the box.

The PID controller is for the heater and the fan is controlled by the on/off main switch of the poppery.

The whole thing worked, though I never found the right PID ramp-soak profile for automagic roasting. With some more patience, I probably could have gotten it working just the way I had envisioned.

I have long since moved to Hottop roasters, so this highly customized Poppery and PID control box has been sitting on a shelf. I am moving to another state and this is one of many items that did not make the cut!

It is offered to someone on HRO who is interested in using it. At a minimum you will probably burn down your house, and perhaps the entire neighborhood, with it. But that will be on you since I warned you in advance.

Seriously, it is definitely experimental and should only be used by someone who is accustomed to modding kitchen appliances to become roasters. And I am not going to be in a position to offer any guidance since I have long since forgotten the little I knew about programming and using Delta PID controllers.

If you are interested in receiving the modified Poppery and the PID controller, and are willing to pay for shipping, then it is your's. Contact me through HRO, please. (I have pictures but can't figure out how to upload them).

Jim

Alaroast
PM sent
Fiorenzato Bricoletta Espresso Machine, Obel EB Grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

JimG
Franken-popper has been sent to its new home. No longer available.

Alaroast
Jim, quite impressive creativity and build quality of what you have created. I was thinking of repurposing the PID controller and control box for the KKTO roaster I am building. After seeing what you have here, it would be a shame to do so and undo this masterpiece. I was also really impressed with the quality of the innards of the Poppery as well. I started out with an Orville Redenbacher air popper years ago and it isn't nearly as stout as this Poppery.

Alaroast
Well I've had this Franken-popper in my garage since JimG sent it to me in February. My focus has now shifted to my newly-acquired USRC 3 kg gas roaster....sooo, the same deal applies to whoever wants it for free, just pay shipping costs. Please read through Jim's previous posts in this thread for all the information.

btreichel
Not sure I'd have tome for it, but built on similar. Do have a bunch of P1 parts.

Alaroast
Well the Franken-popper has headed to its new home and is no longer available.

Jump to Forum: