Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ok, now what?
wildblue
Hey all -

New here and looking for suggestions on my next roaster...

Quick back story - I started home roasting by accident forever ago with a Zach and Dani roaster if you remember those. Now the Nesco I believe. For the last 11 years my Behmor has kept me pretty happy, but now it might be time for something else.

I roast at least 1lb a week. Here lately it's been 2 or 3. Space is not an issue - the Behmor lives in the garage at the moment, but I have a lot of options with that too.

I would prefer electric, but propane is an option.

I'm not opposed to building my own, but I have enough other tinkering hobbies that I'd probably just rather buy.

I'm a bit of a gadget guy, so the automation / software based really hits a couple of my buttons.

This is mostly for personal use. I keep tossing around the idea of making a small business out of it, but I don't know that I want to go that big right now. My front runner at the moment is probably the Bullet. If I knew I was going to start a business, I'd probably look more at the Diedrich 1kg, but that's just beyond the budget right now.

Any other suggestions? Should I look more at rolling my own? Is this a terrible time to be dropping thousands and maybe just give the 'new' Behmor a chance?

renatoa
Cormorant from UK, 600 grams, 2000 GBP, gas.
Better to prepare you for a business than a Bullet, and you can keep it as a sampler if you start a business with a 2-3 kg roaster later.
Or the Kaldi wide, 500 grams for about one grand, various versions, both electric or gas.
Bullet is a fine machine, but not suitable to use it as learning machine for production, I have locally two cases, who bought R1 then sold, because the learning curve is different than a commercial gas roaster.
Edited by renatoa on 04/15/2020 2:45 AM

JackH
Were they expecting the bullet to act exactly like a commercial roaster? I have never heard of this learning curve problem with the bullet.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa
Yeah, probably they were expecting the same inertia as a heavy iron cast, as in the commercials... but the direct induction heating of the drum of Bullet has a different curve.

There is no learning curve problem if you learn use it using manufacturer manuals, the problems appears when you try to use same routine on a commercial roaster, especially gas.
Or when you try operate Bullet using manuals written for 1 kg gas roaster Grin

Jump to Forum: