Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Question for Gene Cafe Roaster
peveleth
I have an older Gene Cafe Roaster. Temp fluctuates up down, probably showing age. Acquiring parts is difficult because of the age of the roaster. Question: For recent owners of the newer Gene Cafe Roaster, your opinions?
Thank you,

renatoa
I am not an owner of a Gene roaster, but I opened one to mod with TC4 for a friend, so I know its innards at least, if not as a daily user.
After this mod drawn some conclusions... Gene heater is overpowered and its on-off relay strategy is not optimal.
So for the next Gene mod did the same as this guy from the link below, an external power limitation with a dimmer, without opening and changing inside something.
http://coffeetime...dification

In your case, temperature fluctuations could mean relay contacts wearing, so the dimmer mod could be the answer, there is no more relay activity, just a firm ON at the start of the roast, then the power. thus temperature is controlled from the dimmer, until final stop.
Worth a try, imo...
Also... the components aren't that old as you suppose... most assemblies can be repaired, some are offered by Gene as spare parts, and in the most extreme case, the whole electronics can be replaced by a smarter one, as I did for my friend.

peveleth
Thanks for the suggestion, however my electrical/mechanical skills are severely limited. Better put I know my limitations. I think the life expectancy of my roaster has reached its peak and then some. I'm happy with the results of the Gene Cafe Roaster I have, and just wanted some feedback from recent Gene Cafe Roaster owners on their experience. I did buy a hottop roaster with the artesian software, but preferred the results I got from the Gene Unit.
Thanks again.

renatoa
The external dimmer mod requires almost no knowledge over the level of wiring a bulb in the basement, and the results could surprise you.

Is there any recent Gene model of same size/capacity ?
I am aware only about the bigger 1 kg unit.

peveleth
Instead of repairing or the purchase of new Gene Cafe Roaster I have decided to purchase another hottop KN-8828B-2K+ unit. I did not have much success with my last unit, but I want to have more control of the roasting process so I will venture in once more.

Jump to Forum: