Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Questions regarding the Aillio Bullet R1 V2
yonika
Hello people smile

I joined this forum because I?m seriously considering ordering myself a Bullet R1 V2.

However I have a lot of questions running up my head that only real life owners would have answers to.

I?m sorry for the amount of questions but this is almost a once in a lifetime opportunity for me as I don?t see me buying another roaster if this one fails to meet my requirements :(
????????????????????????
First and foremost - maintenance and repairability - as this is not a traditional roaster.

1. I am really concerned about the roaster?s high-techiness and chances or malfunctioning and issues. How often does it fail ? I see some posts of malfunctioning BT probes causing ROR craziness. Posts about squeaking noises and other issues. How often do these issues arise and how easy is this to fix them - especially after warranty expires. What are the chances of something very expensive and not repairable breaking ? For some reason the induction board and controller scares me the most.

2. What about spare parts availability and prices ? Do you know if aillio guarantees a certain support period where it must provide spare parts ? Again - outside of warranty?

3. How easy is it to self repair ? - currently I do not have in my country a local distributor like US?s Sweet Maria?s.

4. How much preventive maintenance is required ?

????????????????????????
Now for the fun part - normal user experience and features.

1. How capable this roaster is at getting ?Specialty Roasts? ? I assume this answer should be ?Very Capable? just making sure I?m not missing big here.

2. How easy is the learning curve of this thing ? Meaning - how easy is this to reproduce the same roast with minor and specific variable tweaks to get it to perfection?

3. Is it possible to ?design? a profile before starting to roast ? I mean - can you create a specific bean temperature curve in advance and then hit the ?play? button for the roaster to follow ? Or is it just able to replay the same actions the operator performed in a previous roast without altering it ?

4. Profile sharing - will I benefit from getting a profile of another user of - let?s say - Yirgacheffe or Kenya and replaying this profile on my roaster with my Yirgacheffe or Kenya beans ? Part of this question relates to lack of knowledge I guess and part of it to the variability between roaster - e.g fan speeds that I read differ from one roaster to another.

5. Is it possible to use the roaster offline ? Without the RoastTime cloud ?

6. Is it possible to download your roast profiles ? Or is it just cloud based ?

7. Can you use Artisan instead of RoastTime ?

Thank you very very much for your patience and answers (in advance ;))

Jonathan.

snwcmpr
What is your experience roasting?
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
Welcome

For the first pack of questions: aren't all of them better aimed to the manufacturer customer service, instead us?

About the first question of second pack: no, is not suitable for "speciality", I have at least two fellows in my community who tried to roast professionally on the bullet, ended replaced them with drum gas turkish roasters of same/close capacity and price ballpark.

If this is your first foray into roasting coffee, then I would plan it differently...

DrHenley

renatoa wrote:
About the first question of second pack: no, is not suitable for "speciality", I have at least two fellows in my community who tried to roast professionally on the bullet, ended replaced them with drum gas turkish roasters of same/close capacity and price ballpark.

Do you know what issues they ran into?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AeroPress, Capresso On The Go single cup drip, Moka Pot
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

renatoa
Before everything, it has a clause for home usage, maximum 30 kg monthly.
This fact alone make it unappropriated for volume work, imo. Maybe for a small coffee shop, 1 kg daily consumption, not for selling bags of roasts.
Will ask my fellows though, should meet them this weekend.

DrHenley
Found this on Allio's Web Site:

General Questions About The Bullet R1
Can I use the R1 for business?
Yes and no. The Bullet R1 was not designed for heavy commercial use and there is a 100kg/month limit in order to maintain your warranty. If you need to roast more than this, you will need to look at a larger capacity roaster.

We do not recommend relying on the Bullet as the sole roaster for your business, as in the event of a problem requiring troubleshooting and repair, there may be some down time that could adversely affect you.

That said, there are many examples of successful micro-roasteries and cafes making heavy use of the Bullet ? and, often multiple Bullets. And we have also seen many businesses begin with the 1kg Bullet before growing into 5kg and 10kg roasters.

So that's 3 1/3 kg or a little over 7 pounds per day if you roast 30 days a month, 220 pounds per month. Since I'm retired, if I did roast to sell, which I am considering, it would be supplemental income and more of a money making hobby than a full time business.

I think 220 pounds a month would be plenty, but if I outgrow that amount I can upgrade to a larger roaster...
Edited by DrHenley on 07/23/2020 11:55 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AeroPress, Capresso On The Go single cup drip, Moka Pot
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

renatoa
It seems this is for V2... they raised the capacity, good to know.

Jump to Forum: