Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Espresso maker under 100$
renatoa
During the last two years since no post in this thread, a new machine emerged on some markets, and for me is worth considering against a lot others, for under $100 class.
It's about the brand Staresso, their Mirage model, not the other models cheaper and more plastic.

Mirage has all the critical parts, i.e. contact with water, made from stainless steel, and features a standard 53mm basket, with 22 grams capacity, that coupled with the 180 ml capacity of the tank, allows brewing two espresso, or a long coffee, in a single pass.
The stock basket is pressurized, but the mount is flexible enough to allow change to other standard non-pressurized 51mm basket, or even a 49 mm Pavoni, with some tricks.

There are also third party mods available for sale, as bottomless 51mm portafilter, or a lid replacement allowing pressure reading, and using a car tyre pump instead the default manual pump.
Definitely the McGywer brew machine !

dyno

renatoa wrote:

During the last two years since no post in this thread, a new machine emerged on some markets, and for me is worth considering against a lot others, for under $100 class.
It's about the brand Staresso, their Mirage model, not the other models cheaper and more plastic.

Based on this, i just bought one. Nominally it's for the daughter's boyfriend but I'll have to make sure it works first smile

Piotrkurak

Based on this, i just bought one. Nominally it's for the daughter's boyfriend but I'll have to make sure it works first smile

Lurking for the last year, saw this and immediately bought one for my son who has this expresso need since his Italy trip...
Edited by renatoa on 03/02/2023 10:08 AM

Piotrkurak
Update: son says it makes acceptable expresso italian style, notably on a camping stove when the house power goes out.

On a paranoid note: the company aggressively markets their other products in spam emails which lists everybody's address that bought one

renatoa
2023 version comes with a non-pressurized basket as gift Grin

https://homebaris...-plus-2023

HarryDog
My first unit I was not sure I would like espresso, I waited for one of those Walmart local blow out sales about 3 days and bought a Delonghi ECP3120 $49.95 cad then I picked up a single wall basket from Amazon $15 cad.
You remove the plastic at the bottom of the portafilter (One Screw) and now you are making espresso. So under $50 usd.

You do need a grinder that can grind for Espresso, you can make some great Traditional Italian style shots on this thing but its a manual switch on front to run the pump with boiler/steam tip, requires a little practice. I still take it to work to showcase some of my coffee and I'm not ashamed of it one bit!

Jump to Forum: