Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

11/26/2020 6:37 AM
Everyone have a super Thanksgiving and may all your roasts turn out stellar woohoo

11/25/2020 4:20 PM
Howdy 1st CH and welcome to HR forum! Be sure to read in the forums to see if anything covers the topic and please post away in drum roaster forums Welcome

11/25/2020 3:35 PM
Hey everyone! I am new to the home roasters forum. Mainly here to read and learn! I’d also love to get advice about modifying my roaster (a Huky 500)

11/10/2020 5:29 PM
Welcome MJ, post away! Cheers

11/08/2020 6:05 PM
Hello All, New here, started with an air popper, now using fresh roast 800. I'm here to learn and connect with others Thank you

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,834
Newest Member: Turnado
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Used Mill City TJ-067 - worth it?
jochild
Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade my behmor to something that gives me more control and has a little bit larger capacity. There's a used MCR TJ-067 for sale in my area. I reached out to the seller and it was manufactured in June of 2016. According to some of the forums and after a conversation with Steve at MCR, it sounds like they've made a number of upgrades since 2016, the largest being the UL certification on all the machine components. I'm not super concerned with the ratings for everything, and would just like a really nice home setup. The machine is listed at $5,800, which would be an ok deal for their current machine, which sells for $7,300, but I'm fairly sure that in 2016 their machines were significantly cheaper, on the order of $5,000 or so. Does anyone have any experience with MCR or this machine, what are your thoughts on buying a 2016 model? Should I try and get a better deal on it?

Thanks for your help!
JackH
Link to the roaster (Mill City roasters) https://millcityroasters.com/shop/cof...e-roaster/

It seems like much more than a home setup to me.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
jochild
Oh yes...I understand that this is much more than a home machine. I'm looking for something professional grade, but not planning on selling beans. I'm looking more for information on whether this would be a good deal or not. Thanks!
hankua
I think the price is too steep.
renatoa
Check Cormorant roaster from UK.
Looks professional done enough for me, and price also is appealing for 600 grams, a capacity more appropriate for home consumption.
jochild

hankua wrote:

I think the price is too steep.

What do you think a fair price would be for a used 2016 TJ-067?
turtle
Is it the one in Wiggins?

I recall reading about the changes they've made. Double wall drum, different burners, and a few other things.

There has been a number of innovations in roasters in the past 2-3 years.

Sort of like going from open cockpits and seat of the pants roasting to pressurized cabin and gps nav.
Edited by turtle on 08/29/2020 8:47 PM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
jochild

turtle wrote:

Is it the one in Wiggins?

I recall reading about the changes they've made. Double wall drum, different burners, and a few other things.

There has been a number of innovations in roasters in the past 2-3 years.

Sort of like going from open cockpits and seat of the pants roasting to pressurized cabin and gps nav.

Haha! That's the one! I understand that things may have changed in the past 4 years or so, but I don't know that a cutting edge machine is exactly what I need. I'm looking more for a starter machine to learn on. I mean, the only other reasonably priced options are the ones sold by Buckeye Coffee out of Arizona, but I don't know if those meet all the "modern" specs of other new machines.

So what would be a reasonable price for this "outdated" machine?
turtle
Did you buy it?
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
jochild
No, I didn't end up buying it. I asked the seller if they were negotiable on price and it really seemed to offend them. It looks like they did find a buyer for full value though. Good for them!

I'm looking into getting an Aillio Bullet instead, just have to wait for them to come back in stock.
Jump to Forum: