Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
cheap 1/2lb fluid bed roaster build
phildawes
Hello everyone! First time post here.

After discovering you can buy inexpensive variable dialed heatguns I built a fluidbed roaster as cheaply as I could around one, mainly as an experiment.
I've written it up here along with some pictures and videos: http://phildawes....r-roaster/

(This will mostly be old-hat to people on this forum, but I haven't seen the 'push mesh into a tin can' roasting chamber design before so that might be novel)

mtbizzle
BBQ grill
Roast: Kaldi wide, SR800 + projects
Grind: Lab sweet, Bentwood, giota w/ MP burrs, Commandante
Pull: Decent, La Pavoni, Elektra Microcasa a Leva, Faemina anno 60, Kim Express

renatoa
Welcome

mainly as an experiment.
is the key phrase Grin

You forgot the mandatory fire extinguisher from the setup, but I am afraid will cost more than the rest of hardware Grin

phildawes
Thanks! Yep agreed, that's important advice that I should add to this page. An extra powder fire extinguisher was the 2nd thing I bought after getting my first popcorn maker.

On the subject of safety items, I currently have: RCD socket, powder fire extinguisher, multimeter to test earthing. Is there anything else that I should add?
Edited by phildawes on 01/01/2021 3:58 AM

JackH
Welcome to Homeroasters!

Your documentation is nicely done!
There is nothing wrong with experimenting and trying something a bit different.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jkoll42

phildawes wrote:

Thanks! Yep agreed, that's important advice that I should add to this page. An extra powder fire extinguisher was the 2nd thing I bought after getting my first popcorn maker.

On the subject of safety items, I currently have: RCD socket, powder fire extinguisher, multimeter to test earthing. Is there anything else that I should add?

First off this is a cool build and appreciate the use of binder clips. Second I applaud the "safety second" approach as to the purchase of the extinguisher after the roaster.

Honestly as far as safety since you are roasting outside and worst case scenario you have a couple of smoldering cardboard boxes and melty somewhat burney plastic I would even view the powder fire extinguisher as overkill and more of a "don't attract attention from the neighbors device".

The one thing I would want as safety is a disconnect switch far enough away from the roaster so that it is easy to switch off in case of a fire. I personally like to make my own with a switch in a 1 gang metal box w metal cover that is rated higher than my circuit is pulling. For example if your heat gun is pulling 12.5a go with 20a wiring and switch. Power strips can melt/catch fire but it is incredibly unlikely a setup like that would go up in flames before you can throw the switch.

I mention this because in an outdoor roasting setup your main goal is to prevent fire from getting back to the house. People often don't realize that unless there is a hard short house breakers don't instantly throw. An isolated switch setup is very cheap insurance.

If you really want to get into the details of breakers and how they trip look up "circuit breaker trip curves"
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

greencardigan
I do like a roaster built on the cheap!

I noticed in your video that some beans are getting stuck on the side of the roast chamber. Is there something in there holding them up?

phildawes

greencardigan wrote:

I do like a roaster built on the cheap!

I noticed in your video that some beans are getting stuck on the side of the roast chamber. Is there something in there holding them up?

Thanks! Yep, it turned out that two of the cans in my 3 can tower had some sort of glue holding the lining in place, which went sticky at high heat and held on to some beans. One of them didn't have this problem though, so I guess it's a function of what the tin can was originally designed to hold

Jump to Forum: