Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Modification of a Drum Air Fryer into an Artisan-controlled Coffee Roaster
Yoku-San
Dear Homeroasters,

This is a post which I have also posted on other Forums. I hope it is of interest for you.

I invested a lot of time and effort in the last few weeks to film a video tutorial showing in detail the modification of an inexpensive Air Fryer with a drum into an Artisan-controlled Coffee roaster. I filmed this in german as it was for the mostly german community of kaffee-netz.de (unfortunately some members have problems with english language). However, I tried to automatically generate some english subtitles, so english users might be able to follow the tutorial. Also, the sketch using an Arduino to simulate a TC4 modul for temperature reading combined with the ability to control the duty of an AC-powered heating lamp/element might be helpful for some projects here.

Here are the features of the roaster (I call it "BilloJoe"):

* Motor with 50rpm with enough torque for 250 grams of green beans (fits inside the Air Fryer without modification)

* Installation of shovels to ensure even roasting

* Modification of the drum axes to allow insertion of a thermocouple

* 1mm K-type Thermocouple 15cm goes through axis and detects temperature in the bean mass

* Arduino Nano with Thermocouple Module MAX6675, Bluetooth Module HC-05 and AC Light Dimmer Module (RobotDyn) on a small breadboard fits inside the Air Fryer/Roaster without modification below the motor, powered by 5V directly from the roaster circuits

* Control of the TRIAC on the PCB of the Air Fryer through the TRIAC of the RobotDyn Module

* Reading of Bean Temperature und Control of Heating Power via Artisan Roasting Software on Laptop (connected via Bluetooth with the roaster)

Here is the video (all links, files and a complete shopping list are in the Youtube video description):

And attached is an exemplary profile from Artisan of a roast of 250 grams of Honduras green beans:

I would be happy if someone finds the time and to build another "BilloJoe". I am really convinced of its potential and I find that the resulting coffee has been fantastic.

I am aware that it seems to be difficult to purchase that specific Air Fryer (Klarstein Vitair Turbo) outside the European Union. However, I think that this modification might be possible also with similar Air Fryer that contain a rotating drum and a halogen heating lamp.

Happy modding and regards from Cologne (Germany),

Johannes
Yoku-San attached the following image:
hondurasalog.png

Edited by Yoku-San on 01/24/2021 7:35 AM

JackH
Nicely done! You have put in a lot of work into this. I do see some air Fryers on Amazon made by Klarstein. Maybe they would work.

https://www.amazo...B07JMTK3PF

Very similar to the turbo oven type roasters and it comes with the drum.

I am tempted to try it.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Yoku-San

JackH wrote:

Nicely done! You have put in a lot of work into this. I do see some air Fryers on Amazon made by Klarstein. Maybe they would work.

https://www.amazo...B07JMTK3PF

Very similar to the turbo oven type roasters and it comes with the drum.

I am tempted to try it.

I would be very happy if you would validate my Mod. There are about six to seven people in Germany currently doing the Mod. We have a group PM going on the german forum.

If you want to do the Mod, try to purchase the Vitair Turbo which has the Display on the bottom Part of the case.

https://www.klars...ram=vitair
Someone from Our group also tried to Open the Vitair Turbo Smart which has the Display on top. Seems to be a little more difficult to Open it.
Edited by Yoku-San on 01/26/2021 2:16 AM

JackH
Just tempted for now. Too busy at work and home stuff for the time being.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Yoku-San

JackH wrote:

Just tempted for now. Too busy at work and home stuff for the time being.

I understand that very well. It took me about two years to get this thing to this level, because I only have little time besides work and family.

Regards,

Johannes

Jump to Forum: