Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Quest Conversion to Induction Heating Idea
Nunas
I'm intrigued by the Bullet roaster. The bullet has a huge capacity for its size and electricity consumption, roughly four times my Quest M3 and twice the Quest M6. But, I'm not too fond of the high price nor all the bells and whistles. I like my Quest M3's simplicity, but not so much the small capacity (about 8-ounces max, practically speaking). I wonder if the Quest's capacity could be increased by using induction technology. I also wonder if all the parts could be found in a cheap tabletop induction cooker.

So, my idea is to pull the guts out of one of those portable induction cookers. Rewind the induction coil, forming it into the shape of the Quest's drum. Since the Quest's drum is ferrous, but the outer case is stainless, the coil should heat only the drum. Induction cooker control panels can control either the heat or the power sent to the coil. The latter would be very much like the Quest's existing resistance heaters but possibly more responsive.

Has anyone actually done this already? Alternately, has anyone home brewed a drum roaster using induction for heating?

I'm not so sure I'd actually built a Frankenquest, or should that be a Qullet, Roflmao But the idea intrigues me.
Roasters: Quest M3, Freshroast SR500
Grinders: Baratza Sette 270Wi, Breville BCG450, Zassenhaus Havana
Brewers: ECM Synchronika, Caravel 1.1, Zacconi Riviera, Bodum Chambord, Aero Press, Chemex CM-8A, Nissan Plunger, Yama SY8
BBQ grill

renatoa
The problem is the drum volume, not the heat.
Bullet drum size is right, 6-7 litres for 1kg, obeying to 1:6 rule.
Increasing power, by any methods, is not a solution if you maintain roast chamber, you will overheat the drum surface, that will led to roasting defects.
There is nothing magic in induction heating, IR is also using heat more efficient than the average. With a TO setup you can roast 750 grams with 1300 Watts.
What is different is how and where is applied the heat: for a typical drum machine the heat source is outside the drum, and radiates in all directions, so a good insulation is mandatory. For induction and IR, the heat is generated inside roast chamber itself, close to the beans, so losses are less critical.
The key of efficiency is to use the drum as an agitation method only, and not as a heat exchange medium. This was been done for example by Probat, where roasting is done by an external hot air source, not heating the drum.

Discussions about DIY induction can be found here:
https://homeroast...post_71912
... but, again, will not help you roast more, just use less power.

Nunas
Thanks for the input. I guess my idea is neither original nor practical...sigh! Back to plan-A, buy either a Quest M6 or a Bullet.
Brewers: ECM Synchronika, Caravel 1.1, Zacconi Riviera, Bodum Chambord, Aero Press, Chemex CM-8A, Nissan Plunger, Yama SY8
BBQ grill

renatoa
Or a Cormorant...

Nunas
It seems I was misinformed. The Quest does not have a ferous drum. It's stainless and would not be useable for induction heating anyway.
BBQ grill

renatoa
All stainless steel is magnetic except austenitic stainless steel which is actually 300 series stainless, such as 304 and 316.
The following SS grades are magnetic typically 409, 430, 439, 410, 420, 440.
Sure, it's simpler to test the drum with a magnet than forensic the SS grade it is made Grin

Nunas
That's how I knew my information was wrong. The shell tests antimagnetic, as does the drum. The front and back plates are magnetic.
BBQ grill

Jump to Forum: