Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
RoastLogger does not like new computer
BenKeith
My motherboard in my desktop died last week. I got my new computer DELL, i7, 8 core Gen 10 with Win 10 Home edition.

When I start RoastLogger, several seconds after hitting START, it goes away, closing itself. I was using RoastLogger VER 2.3.8 so I installed Version 2.4. Same thing.
I have the latest version of Java loaded, Version 8.somthing.
I've tried it one two different TC4 controllers with version 3.3 in them.

Now, I can take the same TC4 controllers connected to my laptop which is also and i7 same RoastLogger and it works fine. I've even set up a flash drive with everything on it, plug it into my laptop and works like a champ. Plug it into my desktop and it closes itself after hitting start.
Both computers have version 2.0 and 3.1 USB ports and have tried both, makes no difference
The laptop was upgraded from Win_7 to Win_10.
The Desktop came with Win_10 installed. Both computers have the latest version of Java loaded

So, it looks like there's something about the desktop computer it's not liking and was hoping someone here might have had a similar problem and know of a fix. I don't have a clue where to start or how to check what might be the cause.

I have compiled RoastLoggerTC4 on the desktop and it compiled just fine but have not tried downloading it into a controller because right now, it's been so long since I loaded them, I'm not sure of how the TC4 is setup and I don't won't to take a chance on changing them.

It's not a show stopper if I can't get the desktop to work since I only use it for loading and testing. The laptop is the one I use for roasting.
Edited by BenKeith on 02/09/2021 9:02 PM

BenKeith
OK, an update. Found it was writing an error in RoastLogger
So, now the question is are there any Windows 10 guru's on here, that also knows Java.
Here's what Java had to say, and about two pages of errors after this header.
Looks something to do with set for an AMD instead of and Intel processor.

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000180005b00, pid=8480, tid=0x0000000000003df0
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_281-b09) (build 1.8.0_281-b09)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.281-b09 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [rxtxSerial.dll+0x5b00]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

JackH
I have insomnia so I am up most of the night lately. Hope I can help.

The last time Roastlogger was updated was in 2016. I think Tom Coxon no longer supports it.

Not a Java expert but I would first see if the computer is connected to the TC4 properly. The desktop computer should have searched for the driver when you first plugged the TC4 into the USB port.

Can you can see the TC4 appear in the Windows device manager list? it should show as Arduino Uno Com X (com 1-4).

You can also use the Arduino IDE serial monitor to see if there is communication to the TC4. Set baud drop down to 115,200 and select the com port you see in the device manager.

homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/tc4_1.jpg

Alas, the original Roastlogger site is now gone. It had a lot of troubleshooting information. Sorry to see it gone, it was a great program.
JackH attached the following image:
tc4_1.jpg

Edited by JackH on 02/09/2021 10:56 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BenKeith
Thanks for the response. Threw up the red flag too soon.
After I found Java was sending an error to RoastLogger saying it was a Registry error, it put me to scratching my head. This is a brand new computer and have just started getting the software loaded and checked out, why would it have a registry problem this soon.
Did a search on the internet with the error codes and got a long list of things that needed to be done to the register and recommended using a repair program. I said screw that, I've never trusted any of those so the more I thought about it,
I decided the first thing I would do is delete Java, optimize the hard drive, reboot, reinstall Java, reboot again and run RoastLogger again.
It worked like a champ. I Ran it through several roast cycles and it never missed a beat.
So, while Java was saying it was an outside source and not there software, they lied.

Yea, I hated to see Tom take it off. I've been using it for many years, and chatted with him many times. Matter of fact, he made version 2.3.8 on my request. He had a one minute delay from bean drop to start logging and that didn't work with fluid bed roasters, so he added a code that made that optional. and a couple other changes that made it better for air roasters.
Edited by BenKeith on 02/09/2021 11:24 PM

JackH
I am glad you got it working. Sometimes software does not install correctly.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

OldMan41

BenKeith wrote:

Thanks for the response. Threw up the red flag too soon.
After I found Java was sending an error to RoastLogger saying it was a Registry error, it put me to scratching my head. This is a brand new computer and have just started getting the software loaded and checked out, why would it have a registry problem this soon.
Did a search on the internet with the error codes and got a long list of things that needed to be done to the register and recommended using a repair program. I said screw that, I've never trusted any of those so the more I thought about it,
I decided the first thing I would do is delete Java, optimize the hard drive, reboot, reinstall Java, reboot again and run RoastLogger again.
It worked like a champ. I Ran it through several roast cycles and it never missed a beat.
So, while Java was saying it was an outside source and not there software, they lied.

Yea, I hated to see Tom take it off. I've been using it for many years, and chatted with him many times. Matter of fact, he made version 2.3.8 on my request. He had a one minute delay from bean drop to start logging and that didn't work with fluid bed roasters, so he added a code that made that optional. and a couple other changes that made it better for air roasters.

All Hail BENKEITH! The win10java stomping king!
That was an inspiring read.

Jump to Forum: