Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Sonofresco 2lb Blower Replacement??
dmsims
Just curious if anyone has successfully replaced the Sonofresco 2lb roaster blower with a blower from a 3rd party? I know the blower is not really any different that the type of blower my pellet woodburner uses, but Sonofresco is selling the blower for $550!! I haven't taken the roaster apart yet to see if there are any manufacture markings on the blower, but I'm guessing they removed that information...

allenb
My first suggestion would be to pull the blower and disassemble to find out if all it needs is bearings replaced. Or start/run cap. Usually these can be brought back to life at low cost as long as the windings aren't toasted. If at last resort, the motor needs to be replaced, that should not be a big deal with all the aftermarket surplus available.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

btreichel
If your wood pellet burner re-circulates the air you may be right. But blowers that handle 500 degree air thru them are special animals.

renatoa
The turbine cage and enclosure have to be full metal, that's all.
The motor is outside, and should be fitted with an impeller, for cooling.
The only way to transmit heat is through the shaft, which is not an issue, too narrow pathway for heat.

Such blower should have a much easier life than the TO blower, which deals also with a 700C halogen around the turbine...

allenb
Here's an old thread discussing the type of burner the sonofresco uses:
https://homeroast...post_19775

The blower draws outside ambient air only and the inshot style burner is set up to handle the high static air pressure and is not an atmospheric style burner arrangement.

The attached drawings in the thread shows the airflow path.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
The motor will always have a name plate or printed specs on it regardless of how much a roaster manufacturer likes to make money on parts so once you disassemble your sonofresco, if you can't rebuild the motor, you should have no problem finding a replacement motor but be sure to match the rpm, rotation, full load amps, voltage, shaft size and minimum shaft length and you should be good to go.

Jump to Forum: