Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Brand New (used) Behmor
CharcoalRoaster
So I bought a Behmor 1600 for $50 today. What do I need to know?

Go! cross fingers

btreichel
Keep your fingers crossed and press p1. manual should be online.

allenb
I've always used the 1lb, P1, A selections to give the fastest possible roast. Never found any improved cup by trying the multitude of selection variables. Just slowed things down. You may find it to be otherwise and if yes, let us know what worked.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

CharcoalRoaster
So I fired up a couple of test roasts to try it out with some throw away stale beans the seller included with the Behmor...

Per both of you I only used the P1 1lb mode.

1. It's a LOOOOONG roast profile/time for 1lb. The first batch I couldn't even get to 1C after the stock 18min P1 setting. The second batch I was able to achieve a very slow rolling FC after about 20min after preheating the machine for about 5min. While the beans were ugly the roast seemed uniform. However, the extended roast times would lend me to believe the Behmor 'bakes' more than it roasts but cross fingers

2. Smoke suppression and noise are fantastic. Extremely quiet machine and in the garage the smoke was barely evident.

3. Are those halogen bulbs used as the heat source?

4. Are there any modifications to the Behmor people have done to improve roast times, profiles, etc?

I plan to roast some fresh beans I have this afternoon and see how everything tastes tomorrow.

allenb
Did you roast a 1lb batch of beans? This roaster is only good for a max 1/2 lb batch.

The reason for selecting the 1lb setting button is it allows more total roast time. Sorry we didn't mention that.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

btreichel
I use 300 grams, a variac & killawatt ti insure I get about 1000 watts of heater, around 1470 when the ab kicks in @ 7:30.

CharcoalRoaster
Good call -- I dropped 350g of Yemeni beans and finished FC around 13min so not a terrible profile but I definitely need to tweak this...

Or clean it up and resell it ShockRoflmao

Jump to Forum: