Total Members: 7,596
Newest Member: shdixon

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heating elements
jake415
Hi Homeroasters,.
Any advice for attaching a heating element to the inside of a stainless steel pipes? I heard people talking about inserts, but can't find enough info to figure it out. I've been thinking of drilling in rods to hold up the thing but it isn't an elegant solution.

For reference, I have a common 1600W ceramic heating element which is a hot air gun replacement part and 2" Stainless steel tube.
https://www.amazo...N&th=1

Sorry if this was answered before, but I have a few more questions that I couldn't find info on: Is silicone insulation okay to connect to the heating elements or are people using nickel plated stuff? Also, Is it best to place it closer to the blower or the roasting chamber, or does it not matter?

Any general advice around setting up heating element would be great.

Thanks

jordo_99
I used the actual heat gun housing in mine which is 1.5" and then just wrapped it tight with high temp insulation (mica or fiberglass...don't recall which) to fill the void between the 1.5" housing and 2" tube it sits in.

The insulation is packed in there well enough that everything just stays in place.

renatoa

jake415 wrote:

I heard people talking about inserts, but can't find enough info to figure it out.

Look at these cake tin patterns, image attached.
Now imagine something done manually by you, having outer tips the size of tube inner diameter, and the inner tips arranged to support your heater.
renatoa attached the following image:
image_2022-02-15_164746.png

jake415
I tried the mica wrapping method and it worked great. I'll have to see if it effects airflow but it definitely is an easy way to install the heating element into the pipe. The star tin patterns is definitely a creative solution, good to know there are a lot of ways to figure this out. Less airflow resistance which is good. Thanks for the good ideas

Jump to Forum: