Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,597
Newest Member: Special Coffee Maker

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cyclone Separator for Ground Coffee
guji
As a small lot home roaster, using a Gene Cafe roaster, I'm currently building a small cyclone separator in order to remove the specs of chaff remaining after grinding (pics to follow in a few days). Anyway, I've read where chaff negatively affects coffee taste and although most of the chaff is removed by the roaster, there remains enough, after grinding, to tantalize one about its removal.

The system I'm building uses a small 1" port dust separator (Amazon), 1" hoses for sleep apnea machines, a small 12 vdc centrifugal blower, speed variable, and a small port venturi:
https://www.amazo...LMXXW7B35D

Hopefully I'm simply going to use trial/error (once system is built) to find the blower speed that will just separate the coffee from the chaff.

So, what do you think? Will there be a recognizable taste difference if this chaff is removed? Will this be a beneficial endeavor, or not worth the effort?
Edited by renatoa on 05/03/2022 12:22 PM

renatoa
Some people is so worried even about chaff inside the bean crack, that is released at grinding time, so they designed a grinder who blows that chaff at grind time Grin https://en.coffee...om/airmill

For brew grounds, where silver skin is visible, you can simply remove it by blowing, with your breath.
Having the grounds in a container with lid, preferably transparent, you shake gently, to bring chaff at surface of grounds, then blow, shake again, blow... will be surprised how effective it is.
For espresso this method is not working because chaff is too small, same size as the coffee grounds, and can't be separate.

The really bad taste chaff is the burnt chaff inside the roaster, much worse than the chaff remaining after cooling.
Actually, it seems that chaff in the grounds has no taste, if it were to believe some people that tried to do a tea style drink just from chaff Grin
What should worry us about chaff inside the grounds is the channeling it creates, thus altering the extraction.
Edited by renatoa on 05/06/2022 10:44 AM

guji
renatoa: that AIRMILL grinder would solve the situation but its initial price of $ 295. far exceeds the amount I spent to build this cyclone separator, as described. Note this separator IS for the removal of the bits of chaff that remain in the coffee after grinding, and not for the roast process, itself. My Gene Cafe seems to do a good job at that.

renatoa
After my experience with breath blowing chaff, I think could be easy to reproduce the principle used by Airmill for an existing manual grinder, just create a 3d printed intermediate piece between the burrs exit and collector canister, and blow air from lateral slow enough to remove the skin and fines, but not affect the grounds free fall.
I don't see the need of a cyclone for such design... the critical point is to find the right airflow, not the separation.
And a small enough pump to not make the whole setup bigger than the grinder Grin
For an electric grinder though, the bigger grinding speed complicates the airflow tuning even more, imo.
Keep in touch with the progress of your build !
Will try to make a movie with me blowing the chaff my way Grin

Koffee Kosmo
Just use variable speed and variable heat - hair dryer

I used this method a decade ago and it may apply for your situation

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.