Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Too much chaff collecting on drum vent
dmjacobs
I've seen some threads on chaff, but all have focused on insufficient air flow. I am getting proper airflow, but too much chaff is building up at the vent on the drum to the point where there's too much smoke inside the drum. I've replaced the entire stainless assembly inside the drum figuring the hinged door was not working/wiping well. The wiper doesn't seem to be doing a good job of clearing the chaff through the vent. Even with lower volume of beans, there is still build-up. Any suggestions?

renatoa
Does this happens for all origins ?
The naturals have more chaff than washed, indeed... and the washed can vary a lot... there are origins with very little chaff, and origins with very persistent chaff, that must be manually removed.
The Tanzanians for example behave this way for me, no airflow is able to completely hull them.
The more chaffy naturals compensate by the fact that are easier to peel.

dmjacobs
Thank you. I assumed this was the case. My most recent roast with this problem was a natural/dry processed Brazilian. I will have to do tiny batches of these to minimize the chaff. Thanks for the confirmation.

Jump to Forum: