Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Colombia Santa Barbara
allenb
I had been looking for a while for a "good" wet processed, decently priced coffee that I could roast for some of my relatives on a regular basis and stumbled on to Colombia Santa Barbara over at Happy Mug. It's a wet processed Colombian that cups more like a fine Kenya with perfectly balanced wine-like acidity, dark chocolate, mild cherry and raisin notes. It's not a fruit forward coffee but has just enough to compliment the chocolate notes and not dominate the flavor profile. I hate to say it but this cups better than almost all of the Kenyas and Ethiopians I've had this year which would seem close to impossible at $5.25/lb.

I've been getting really good results in my fluidbed hitting yellow at 3:15 and first crack at a few seconds less than 7 minutes and going 20 F (BT) past beginning of first crack which has been around 1:45 of development.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Piotrkurak
Hmmm no "thanks" button on this forum.

Is this a consistent offering that would be available say next year?

allenb
I used the wayback machine and saw it available in spring of 21 but couldn't see any in 22 so not sure if this will be every year or not.
You might give them a call and see if they have any intel on it for next year. I hope they do.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Piotrkurak
Gotta say thanks again for the intel on the coffee. Got 10lbs, did a 1 lb roast and stopped when the 7 degree drop on first crack finished so figure a 2minute coast added before the Behmore went Into cool mode. Two minutes later went into monster blower cool assist with the behmore door open. Didn't get that chocolate but there's interesting flavors and it seems to be a really nice coffee

allenb
Glad to hear it is cupping nice.

After roasting much more since my post, I have found that this coffee has many personalities and depending on the phase of the moon, and a myriad of other possible mitigating factors, it can exhibit wine like acidity with raison/berry notes with or without chocolate, and at other times it cups more like a Kenya and sometimes like an Ethiopian.

Piotrkurak
What would be the mitigating factors? I tried standing on one foot while reciting obscure Korean poetry and consuming sake, but can't see where that helps. Could try a P3 automated roast instead where temp ramps up slower. Might catch the wine qualities

allenb
I guess the unfortunate fact that coffee will not be mastered by anyone ever, is the reason I tossed in the "mitigating factors". I can buy reasonably similar ribeye steaks from differing herds and I can pretty much know by how I'm grilling them how they will taste give or take a tiny bit. Same with many other food and beverage items where one has to interface with the item in the course of preparing it.

With coffee, even with high tech controls and careful handling, the post-roast results in the cup the following morning is always a surprise to some degree. No guarantee that just because you did precisely the same profile as 2 days earlier that you'll get that same awesome cup but when I think about it, this is what has kept me interested in roasting coffee all these years and I would never have it any other way.

Piotrkurak
Well: folgers does huge computer controlled roasts and they pay someone to taste the roast and reccomend blending what batch mixes with what batch.

If it were all the same I suppose you'd never get that "M'gawdd THAT'S tasty" occasional roast that you can't repeat.

Will advise what the 3/4 heat rise roast does to the beans. Really like the 1C temp dip for timing the end so thanks for that too.

oldgrumpus

allenb wrote:

After roasting much more since my post, I have found that this coffee has many personalities and depending on the phase of the moon....

I had some questions about consistency that were answered in a Sweet Maria's video on YouTube. About 2/3 of the way into the video, he discusses the odd beans in the roast of which some are quakers and some may not. By removing all the odd beans, roasts have a tendency to take on a more uniform flavor profile. He asks the question, "why not remove them all"... and the answer is that these beans can add more interest and personality, without necessarily negatively influencing it. My "AHA" moment.

HarryDog
That's such a crazy video, seen it many times, not sure evenness can even be considered with so many variances at play.

Then add in someones palate. I don"t think the comment it's better then he thought is exactly a vote for the fresh roast uneven roast. He did like the bullet cup.

Now where I like my variance is blending, think I will go make a cup now.

Piotrkurak
Second roast using the easily noticed temp jump after 1C discussed by allenb as the cooling start in the behmore.

No caramel, or chocolate. Some sort of undefined fruit flavor, light acidity almost like an Ethiopian. Will see what develops in a couple of days of aging.

Best buy of $5.00 coffee yet.

Jump to Forum: